Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just curious as to what your opinions are of the
most predatorial fish residing in Lake Malawi. I only know of
Fryeri and Eye-Biter that are predators anf they only go after
fry?

·
Registered
554 Posts
when I read your title I thought I'd be clever and state that the most dangerous Malawi predator would be humans, but you specify fish in your post. :lol: 8)

what about chapsochromis caeruleus (malawi trout)?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Bagrus meridionalis is a catfish that grows to 60", pretty predatory fish.

Of the cichlids, I would suggest that one of the larger Rhamprochromis is likely the most predatory, some of which grow to 50cm.

Serranochromis robustus robustus is a non-endemic predatory Haplochromine that grows to 60cm.

·
Registered
554 Posts
wow :eek:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nina_b said:
when I read your title I thought I'd be clever and state that the most dangerous Malawi predator would be humans, but you specify fish in your post. :lol: 8)

what about chapsochromis caeruleus (malawi trout)?
lol, very true.

Nina_b said:
Bagrus meridionalis is a catfish that grows to 60", pretty predatory fish.

Of the cichlids, I would suggest that one of the larger Rhamprochromis is likely the most predatory, some of which grow to 50cm.

Serranochromis robustus robustus is a non-endemic predatory Haplochromine that grows to 60cm.
Some very nice looking fish, it's interesting to see how most of the
predators body shapes have evolved similarly.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I read predator cichlid from malawi and just thought Rift Lakes. :roll: The OP did ask specific about lake and I missread that. :wink:

·
Registered
363 Posts
+1 for larger Rhampsos and Buccos in terms of cichlids that fit in home aquariums.

IME, Champsos, while big (with a big mouth) and capable of taking down 3" mbuna, are puppy dogs and pretty much mind their business. My Chamso male is the largest in the tank and I've never had problems with him. His fins are totally clean too.

The meanest large predators that I have kept are definitely Tyrannochromis (nigreventor) or Aristochromis. Even without being the largest fish in the tank, both can be nasty aggressive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts