Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im confident in the food I use and dont want to buy more than the 2 sizes but wish i could get it a bit smaller. I'm thinking either a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder to grind up the pellets into more of a powder to feed baby and smaller fish.

Any experience with either?

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
i'd suggest a plastic container and a wooden spoon/dowel or anything flat and hard really. fish food isn't hard enough to need either to grind it up, and not only will you have more control doing it by hand than using a grinder, but by doing it in a plastic container you can do a bunch at once and put a lid on it to store it. I can crush nls with my fingers, and used to just use a plastic spoon for spirulina

·
Registered
509 Posts
I just whipped out my coffee grinder I have dedicated for fry food today and used it. It works great.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Much will depend on what fry you are feeding. Some come out ready to take most anything while others are much more difficult. Since I always feed some type of flake food, I start out with crushing just a few flakes between my fingers for most fry. If they are not able to take that I also have Hiklari "First Bites" on hand but when those fail, I go for fresh hatched baby brine shrimp and have never failed on getting those accepted. For pellet food on a temp basis, I would dump the container on paper and find the crushed stuff at the bottom to feed. Almost all food will have some dust at the bottom that will be as good as you working to get it crushed.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Mortar and pestle if you have a Saturday to kill. I started that way and even tried the pepper mill. 20 seconds in a coffee grinder now and done. :thumb: You'll get a nice powdered food for fry. Works great. I get my fry onto it as soon as possible. I start them on microworm and decapsulated brine eggs. I like easy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ill give the coffee grinder a try. I dont think its "needed" but I'm the parnoid type and want to make sure everyone is getting food. I did just order some brine shrimp eggs yesterday. One of the breeders i buy from showed me how to set up a easy hatchery and have them every 24hrs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts