Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a water change and moved the rocks around in a 55g species tank.The dynamic of the tank radicaly changed! I had 3 adults.I assumed 1 male and 2 female.The two larger fish beat the small one to near death and started chasing some of the smaller fry. Some fry were even chasing fry.I thought the smaller of the adults was a female because she/he would dig pits for babies and watch over them.I even thought she had a brood of her own.I took he/she out and put her in a floating isolation tank as well as all the fry(about 10).Now I dont know what to do with them.Should I put he/she in my 120 community tank,where I have a brichardi already(a refuge from the species tank).Will the two males(I assume)get along? I will most likely give the fry to a mom and pop fish store so they have something cool to sell.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
hmm, it is a hard call. usually when fish are in harmony, I don't like to change things around. Re-arranging can break bond and fish will feel like they have to re-claim the area or the tank.

1) you could let them fight it out and 1 pair should remain and re-colonize your tank with their babies.

2) take your chance with the 2 remaining hoping they are a pair and put the rest in another tank.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I would not bet on two males getting along in a 55g. One male plus two females can be fine if they kind of like each other and the sub dom female knows her place. Fun and games, its a hard call as answered. 8)
This group of this fish are real interesting and their behavour are real fun to watch :wink:

Me I tend to let the fish sort themselves out and enjoy. In a 55g you should have success in the end but an interesting jurney is half the fun?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts