Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this cichlid face down in the rocks you can see where his head is extremely wounded. this is where he was rubbing on the rocks. Was extremely weak and i was able to catch him with my hand. Seemed he could not balance him self and was extremely disoriented. Is this disease or is he just been badly beat up. No other cichlid or fish in the tank is showing any signs of disease.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
It could be either: disease or that he was beat up, (what other species are in the tank with him?), but either way this fish should be removed to a hospital tank ASAP.

The concern with any kind of wound, especially one that big and where the fish is already in a weakened state, is infection. His water conditions need to be absolutely perfect and because he is weak there shouldn't be a strong current.
You can treat with Melafix which will speed up healing, or you may want to go right to an antibiotic treatment. Melafix is great but if it's already infected with something like Columnaris then Melafix alone probably won't be enough. Some antibiotic choices are:
Maracyn and Maracyn-two, used together
Kanamycin
Furan 2
Additionally you want to keep the temp aroung 76. You can add aquarium salt at the rate of 1 tablespoon per five gallons. Dissolve it first and add it slowly. The salt can help to prevent bacteria from adherring to the fish's skin.

Robin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well there are mbuna in the tank with the moorii. I bought it before i knew they were not a very aggressive species and i was new to cichlids. So i moved it to a hospital tank with R/O water and am starting maracyn 2 treatments as well as the salt. After it heals i plan on adopting it out to someone with a more appropriate tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts