·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here I was able to get the pic in the post. :fish: night time

day time

G

·
I dont use my moonlight specifically for my cichlids. I use it for my catfish, but my CAs love it. Mine was just a simple DIY, a led strip hooked up to a converter.

·
Registered
306 Posts
More often than not moonlights are merely for our own enjoyment, though some fish do enjoy having some moonlight like light. I simply use a set of cold cathode lights for a computer connected to a 12v adapter. I would actually recommend those to you. Unless it's just the picture not showing the light, it doesnt seem like light is making it through the tank that well. The blue cold cathodes are my favorite so far when it comes to trying to simulate moonlight. Actually I have a pic, I like how you can't see the light at the top of the tank, but you can see it kind of gleam through the water and on the bottom. The unevenness of the light is just the rocks being higher on one side.

Edit: in looking closer at your picture I realized that it looks pretty darn good lmao. At first glance I thought it was shining more on the top than the bottom, durp. Oh well I left my two cents here anyway.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I didnt rig anything special up for my 'evening' lighting. I paid £30 each for 2 single LEDs from the marine section of the LFS. They don't look like moonlight i must admit, but they do let me pick out spots of interest.

Here i had them both focused on a point in the center, the Sajicas were breeding at the time and were good to watch in the evening. They also give a very dim light to the rest of the tank. Not so much as to keep the catfish in its cave :)

I'll take some different pics when the camera shows up. Think the dog ate it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think the camera did it justice as in person I get the sparkel and it can see the fish moving around. I like your evening and morning lights and was thinking of adding a few of them. Right now I have the moonlights on timers along with the mains. They stay on three hours after the main lights go off and conme on two hours before. I would like to do that with evening and morning lihts in the mix to simulate early morn and twilight. I am truly a fish geek LOL :wink: :dancing:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Thanks for inspiring me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts