·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank:120G ~ 48x24x24 with 2 pre-drilled MegaFlows

Lighting:AGA 3x T8 36w 6500k, AGA 2x CF 55w 10,000k

Substrate:40# Eco-Complete Cichlid Gravel ~ 80# Eco-complete Cichlid Sand

Filtration:Eheim 2217

117 liter sterilite container w/ 2x 5 gallon buckets, MAG 12 return pump.

Heating: 2x 300w Marineland Visi-therm Heater

Aeration: Whisper 100

comments & suggestions ? :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Very clean DIY sump. What are the buckets filled with? How did you figure out the appropriate pump speed?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pics fixed, used wrong links :lol:

@JoelRHale ~ they are filled with bioballs to the top minus the 4" of the drip tray that i made from the bottom of another bucket. the inlets were rated @ 600gph each. 600x2 = 1200, mag12 = 1200 gph - pressure. HTH

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Water Parameters:

Tap: Temp=67.8 / PH=7.0 / Ammonia=0 / Nitrite=0 / Nitrate=0 / GH=2 / KH=2

Tap+24: Temp=72.0 / PH=7.0 / Ammonia=0 / Nitrite=0 / Nitrate=0 / GH=1 / KH=2

5/13 Tank: Temp=77.5 / PH=8.0 / Ammonia=.25 / Nitrite=0 / Nitrate=0 / GH=10 / KH=4

5/16 Tank: Temp=78.0 / PH=8.0 / Ammonia=0 / Nitrite=0 / Nitrate=0 / GH=10 / KH=4

Inhabitants:

3x red jewel fish 3" each
2x jack dempsey 8" 6"
3x zebras 4"-6"
1x pleco 9"

All the fish were taken from a 75g tank running a Eheim 2217 half filled for about 2 weeks. The tank was half filled due to basement renovations + small leak. All the fish + rocks were moved over to the 120 for about 3 weeks now. The old 2217 was left running in the new tank for about a week, hoping to help seed the new filters. After one week, the old 2217 was removed. The filter was just not pushing water out much, was more of a drip. The filter was VERY dirty and clogged.

After receiving my API test kits this weekend, I decided to test the water parameters and see where I stand. The readings are posted up top. Now my concerns begin, with all the 0 readings. I have not done a big water change since the 120g has been setup, only about 5 gallons every 2-3 days from siphoning out debris and topping off water for the sump.

What should be my biggest concerns now ?

TY for your time !

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anthraxx8500 said:
your not testing properly.
You were 100% correct, I did the nitrate test incorrectly. 40-60 PPM, did a 30% water change, will check again tmr. TY Anthraxx8500 ! :thumb:

The fish and rocks were taken over from my in-laws 75g, and I'm just trying to get them a better home. I don't even think they should be in the same tank, but it is what it is, until I can find some of the fish new homes. Once that is done, will def look to add LOTS of rocks in the near future. Then work on new fish for the tank! :wink:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
For a 'noob in training' you're doing incredibly well. Very nice and clean setup. Very impressive. =D>

Any pics of the drip tray, prefilter, etc? Just curious how you went about that.[/quote]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Very nice. U just solved my quandry. I couldn't decide between a DIY canister filter (CF) or a DIY sump. I've been struggling with a pressure resistant 4-5 gal container with a removeable lid for CF. By placing the 5 gal bucket in a sump it need not be pressurized. Brilliant. Know what I'm doing this weekend. Thx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has been quite a few years since I had my tanks running, just putting my equipment to good use for now. There are just so many things to learn and re-learn as I go. :wink:

Lid with 1" bulkhead to snap into the plumbing and help hold the bucket in place

Drip plate, 4" tall, cut from bottom of another 5g bucket

Bottom layer, 1" filter pad

Eheim Pro II fine filter pad on top of that

Marineland bonded filter pad on top of that

Eheim Pro II coarse filter pad, i have 2 pieces on top of each other, this helps cut down on the splashing sound of the water coming down

1/2" pvc + eggcrate to help hold the buckets up 3" from the bottom of the sump

Have been looking at ways to improve the prefilter and such. Was looking at the poret filter foam that fmueller used in his tank.

http://www.fmueller.com/home/aquaristic ... lter-foam/

comments & suggestions are welcomed

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I must admit I am very impressed!! :thumb: :thumb:

I really am liking your setup.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thx xxbenjamminxx !

was bored, so snapped some pics of the bully in the tank :lol:

Metriaclima greshakei ??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.