Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my hands on a 90 gallon, so I will be upgrading from my 40 this coming weekend. Right now there is 6 Malawi high-breds(2-3 inch right now) in there that I inherited, feel bad getting rid of them so I will stock around them. OK back on topic, I have about 60-70 pounds of sand in the 40G I don't think that will be enough for the 90. I don't want to go through the hassle of cleaning sand in the apartment, bathtup tends to clog. Can I mix pebble substrate with the sand? has anyone done this and can put some pics up. any tips will help, the 40G is going away completely for now so everything in there is going to the 90.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After thinking about it today at work, and talking to another guy who knows fish I am thinking of going to a NW chiclid tank. It is so hard to maintain the PH I need with the water in my apartment. On that note I am thinking brown pebbles mixed with the sand would be fun for an Oscar or two to play in. I was thinking 2 O's, 2 dempsies, and maybe a green terror or two. Any advice on the stocking would be great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
whoa... definately not.
since the week *** been on here for *** learned so much.

it would not be wise to have that many large fish in the tank that size.

oscars can get up to ten inches alone, as well as the jack dempesys AND the GT's.

if you were going to build the tank around the malawi hybrids then you need to consider that green terrors come from a completely different territory and have different water requirements. not to mention if either of you "sets of two's" decide to mate then the whole tank will die. your hybrids first because thay cant fend for themselves against a breeding pair of either the GT's or Oscars.

Now you said you changed your mind... so if that means you aren't keeping the hybrids, then go with the JD. I find they are almost the same as the GT except not as aggressive IMO and can have other fish in with them.

If you got a pair, then consider maybe smaller fish that wont pose a threat to the pair if they decided to breed. go for more ample vertical bodied fish versus the more stremlined. reason being that your JD wont be able to fit them in their mouths as easily if they decide to make them prey.
here's a couple ideas
green tiger barbs,
albino tiger barbs,
tiger barbs
congo tetra's,
black skirt tetra's
hi-fin tetra's

i would get two types and introduce them in groups of ten, reason being they will really get a schooling mentality in groups over 5-7 which will be to the disadvantage of a hungry JD.

lots of open water and open sand to really let the JD display their natural attributes with maybe a corner of rock, low to the substrate with openings big enough for the smaller fish to go in if the JD go on rampage.

thats my two cents, im sure there are smarter people then me though.

G

·
I have mixed sand with gravel and I like the looks. I don't have the pictures to post, but I like the looks. Regarding the pH, if your water is soft and has low pH, raising and keeping higher pH is pretty easy. So, that shouldn't dictate what kind of fish you want to keep. If you want to keep africans, you just need to mix in some baking soda and salt. Not that difficult. Don't let the water properties dictate what fish you want to keep.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
What are the parameters of your tap water?
Once we establish that, then you are on your way. Most of the time you don't need to add anything to your water at all, even if your PH and hardness is off, your fish will be more then happy with the conditions. Water stability is much more important then achieving "ideal" water parameters

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The whole plan really is on hold right now, This weekend I am going to set the tank up and the 6 little guys will have a lot of room to swim. I am in the Air Force, and trying to move out of this small town. That being said, I don't want to commit to a nice tank till I know I am going to be in the same spot for several years. Ideally that spot will be up north, where it snows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts