Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you mix cichlids from VIc. and Malawi??
Has anyone done this in the past and what would be some good stock to mix together in a 90 gal. tank??

·
Super Moderator
40,527 Posts
Are you doing all-male or mixed genders?

Two things I have found different with Vics than Malawi is the males don't always color up at all with no females present. My Astatotilapia latifasciata is an exception.

And the ones I like (like Pundamilia, not sure if this applies more broadly) are either on the aggressive side (so you would not want to mix with a timid fish like certain aulonocara) or so timid (like Ruby Green or Christmas Fulu) they thrive in a species tank, away from all those scary Malawi.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm with DJ.

I have a single male P. nyeri in with comparably sized and larger peacocks, haps and mbuna in a heavily stocked 125. He holds his own and is actually more on the aggressive side compared to the rest of the tank.

These guys get horribly aggressive in the presence of females. I could imagine things being bad if you tried to put them as one of a few (Malawi) breeding groups in a tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.