Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the possibility of one red zebra female (~2") coexisiting with jack dempsey female (~1.5-2") in a 55g (48" long)?

I was going to try them in my 40 breeder (36" long) where they'd be easier to catch to see how they'd do first, but I thought I'd ask about what you guys think.

I don't like to mix lakes personally, but, as some of you know I've been trying to rehome fish, and these two are the leftovers.

The only other fish in there would be possibly a school of 9 pristella tetras and some bottom feeders. Nothing big.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
I have not heard good stories about the mix of JDs and mbuna. Maybe a tank divider, LOL.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While a divider is sometimes a necessary measure, it's always a temporary one for me. They look awful. I might try it, but I don't want either fish to get ripped up...My JD, even though it's female, might just get too big for it to work out for long. She's growing fast too (doubled size in two months).

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
It was a little bit of a joke to make the point that they may not mix well. :lol:

Do a search on JD and mbuna, maybe some of the stories I read will pop up for you. Maybe in General Aquaria though.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Not to sure on mbuna cichlids but your jd will grow to six plus inches in no time. If the mbuna can keep the jd at bay with numbers vs size they might coexist in your tank.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flippercon said:
Not to sure on mbuna cichlids but your jd will grow to six plus inches in no time. If the mbuna can keep the jd at bay with numbers vs size they might coexist in your tank.
I really don't like mixing lakes--a completely Mbuna tank looks nicer than a mixed lot IMO.

The JD is female, so I expect she won't reach the full 10 inches, but I'm hoping for 6-7. :D It's only the one red zebra, and she's fairly non-aggressive. She was sub-dominant to my yellow lab male (who I think may have been on the more aggressive side though). I wouldn't keep a harem with a JD is so small a tank (55g).

I'll search it, thanks. She's by herself in the 40 breeder, which will have to do for now. Was in the 55, but I gave that over to the JD who's growing much quicker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts