Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added a group of 10 unsexed red zebras to a 6ft x 20" x 16" tank. I am hoping to grow them out and pick out a breeding group. I am also trying to free up some tank space and was thinking of throwing my group of electric yellows (3m/1f) in with them. My concerns are with the group of electric yellows as i only have one female to 3 males. Am I going to have problems with hybridization between these two groups? ARe there any ways to minimize this risk while keeping the groups together?

thanks

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
You will have hybridisation problems. Or atleast you will have the possibilty, which for ethical reasons would deter me from distributing the fry. The risk of it is just way to high.
For display purposes these 2 fish mix very well and the colour contrast is brilliant, but when it comes to breeding, these 2 species should never be kept together.
Some people tend to think that a bigger size tank and a good male/female ratio eliminates the propability, which it only does slightly. The risk is far to great to a breeder

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I have them together in a big tank with correct ratios...they will crossbreed. I keep 11 catfish in the tank to handle hybrid fry problems.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Since you said you were hoping to get a breeding group out of the red zebras, I wouldn't add Yellow labs to the equation.

You can keep the two groups together, but if you're interested in breeding, it's not something that should be done. I would not consider purchasing either species from someone who housed them together.

The product of these two species (hybrids, of course) can be very difficult to spot, and many people have paid for fish that weren't what they were represented to be because of people insisting on housing the two species together.

It happened to me... :(

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so i guess I won't be mixing the two groups :(

Is it possible to keep other mbuna breeding groups with the red zebras without having to worry about hybridization?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sure it is... :D

Just stay away from other non-barred zebra types and make sure you have ample males and females of both breeding groups. (I've never had problems housing barred zebras with non barred zebras...)

All mouthbrooders can crossbreed, but try not to pick any two species that look similar to each other, and work to get your male/female ratios where you want them, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Occasionally, you can stumble upon a hyper dominant male who will try to interfere with breeding of other species, but if you have adequate space and females for that male, you should be fine.

Another good rule of thumb when choosing your species is NOT to pick two from the same genus. :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts