Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres what I have in the 20gal long with LOTS of plants & rocks/caves:

3 julidochromis marleri 1) 3" and 2) 2" two stick together and one of the small ones is ostricized to the other side of the tank. Showing possible breeding behaviour but no damage to the "third wheel".

2 Blue Neon Peacocks (M-F breeding pair 3.5")

and a couple giant danios

I'd like to remove the blue neon peacocks and replace with 3 lamp. meleagris (also called lamp. stappersii) shellies but wonder if they'll fight badly with the julies... the stappersi are currently in another 20gal long with 6 placidochromis Phenochilus 2-3" each and are holding their own just fine...

So, should I do it?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Eventually, marlieri get a little to big for a 20 long unless your keeping a single pair for breeding in there. Adult marlieri are fairly aggressive, and will kill adult shellies, and pull them out of the shell to get at fry and eggs.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok - thanks!! Sounds like I'd better not put them together. I'd like to breed the julies and the pair has been in hiding a LOT the last few days so maybe I should leave them alone...

I have 3 of the meleagris in the 20long by themselves now, what would you add ? It doesnt HAVE TO be a Tanganyikan I guess... Tangs are kinda hard to find here. Would 4 caudopunctatus cause a war?

·
Registered
180 Posts
[quoteWould 4 caudopunctatus cause a war?[/quote]

Possibly (amongst themselves) if you have more than one male. I had 3 in a 29gal and had to remove one. But they'll be fine with the Meleagris. I have my punks in with 6 J. Transcriptus.
No problems.

Cheers,
Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.