Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I'm a total novice. I have a 125 with 6 Labidochromis caeruleus and 6 Iodotropheus sprengerae, all doing well. I am considering adding a sextet of Cynotilapia afra. How do you handle feeding? My labs will eat anything! And they are agressive feeders. So how do I feed the Afra, if I go that route?

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Feed a food like New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula with 34% protein and you can use it with all your cichlids.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That seems too simple! I'm currently feeding (sparingly) HDH Cichlid Flakes, and Omega One Cichlid Flakes to supplement HBH Veggie flakes and fresh lettuce leaves. I've read so much about Malawi bloat, I figured it must be harder.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
You can safely feed all Mbuna the same food, and they will all happily eat anything. Avoid food that is high protein, and never feed beef heart or bloodworms. The cichlids actually can get quite fat even if they do not get sick.

In nature, all three of your fish pretty much eat similar diets. Very tiny small creatures that are either floating in the water, living on algae strands, or in the crevices of rocks or sand... and maybe some algae. There is great competition for food in Lake Malawi so the fish do not get much protein.

You could feed New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula pellets and Omega One Veggie Kelp Flakes. Add lettuce or zucchini whenever you feel like. None of the flake formulas are actually vegetarian, they are all a mix.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. I learned pretty quickly that the Labs, at least, will devour anything. I have two four inch plecos, and I tried feeding them some sinking shrimp pellets at night. They never even made it to the bottom! Thanks for the info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts