Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started keeping African Cichlids about 4 months ago. This is what my tank has evolved to. Looking for feedback about stocking and tank set up. It is a 125 gallon 6 foot aquarium. I have a Fluval 406 and a FX4 for filtration. I also have a Marineland power head to help move water. Temperature is set at 78 Degrees. I do 50% water changes weekly.

Stocking List
1 OB Peacock
1 SP. 44
1 Frontosa
1 Yellow Lab
1 Red Peacock
1 Regal Peacock
1 Lemon Jake Peacock
1 Orange Peacock
2 Red shoulder peacocks
2 livingstonii
1 Moorii
1 Polystigma
1 Red Top Zebra
1 Euchilis
1 Red Empress
1 Likoma Mloto
1 Ablino Blood Dragon Peacock
1 Peacock Hybrid
1 Tetrastigma
1 Synadotis
1 Red Fin Borelyi
1 Sunshine Peacock
1 Deep Water Hap
1 Venustus
1 Taiwan Reef
1 Z-Rock
1 Albino Pleco of some sort
(I am not very good at names)

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Too many fish IMO and I would expect you will see some issues between year one and year two.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tank looks good, I'd probably get rid of any doubles (livinstoni, red shoulder) its gonna be hit and miss for a bit until everyone grows more. The venustus may or may not eventually run havoc on the tank (they can get super nasty) Good luck man! Peacock and haps tanks are work but lots of fun.

Overall I think the species list looks good, you have adequate filtering and water changes so you're headed in the right direction but like DJ said you're gonna run in to some problems but as long as you know that you will be fine. Adjust as ya go!

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Having a crowded "one of everything" leads to a lot of fish being mediocre. A lot of fish, and many are very similar, so some fish will not look their best or grow as fast. I suppose it depends on what you want.

Impossible to avoid problems (they are cichlids), there will be winners and losers, just be aware that those hybrid "peacocks" can be more aggressive than Aulonocara. Many of the Aulonocara may never show full color, there are just so many. The single Frontosa probably shouldn't be there, might be too stressed out to grow huge anytime soon, but if it does grow huge you wouldn't want that either.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely plan on losing 1 of the duplicates. Still deciding which one. Will probably thin it out a bit overtime. I've hear a lot of mixed reviews about keeping Frontosa with Peacocks and Haps, but he seams to do well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In my limited experience lol majority of the time I've seen fronts not work with hap/peacocks. But if hes active and not hiding then I've seen it work in past. Same with Vics, majority or the time they don't work but occasionally they do. They like to nip fins similar to mbuna. And any nimbochrmois species ya have i.e. the venustus, Livingstoni, and I believe the polystigma will have a tendency to be far more aggressive with others to where more than likely you will have deaths. Just my 2 cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts