Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just set up my new tank (4ftlong x 18"high x 21"wide) I currently have 1m4f Hongi's in there and would like to bring in some mroe colour. I have available in my other tanks a breeding group of Afra cobue's 1m6f.... and a breeding group of saulosi's 2m10f. Has anyone ever tried this mix and had success? If anyone see's any potential problems please let me know as i wont shift any fish around till i get some opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I've not kept any of the species you've listed but can say that with the Mbuna I have kept males too closely colored and striped see each other as potential rivals for mates and territory. I learned this the hard way and lost a lot of fish. My next set-up with the knowledge this Forum has offered will be a much better blend of color and aggressive tendencies.

Not to say it won't work but the odds are stacked against them.

·
Registered
842 Posts
hey there- i keep the afra and saulosi and don't have much of a problem......I do notice that my male cobue doesn't tolorate anyone near his cave. The male saulosi(s) don't fool with him at all. He does have them slightly in size, maybe a 1/2 inch. They are all at spawning size but not fully grown. I'll be adding a group of Afra "white top haras" with them. As for the Hongi, I've not kept them but I hear that the males are zero tolorance and can be the devil so I'm not sure about that one.

That's a lot of fish in a 55gal, do you plan on lots and lots of rockwork? The thing I"ve noticed is that 3 rock dwelling species will have lots of competiton for territory and food. Guess it's one way to find out

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks thevein, do your saulosi and afra's still spawn being in the same tank together? Yeah i have plenty of rockwork in the tank, its a 75g. I have noticed the Hongi is very territorial across the whole tank so i may have to work something else out.

Cheers

·
Registered
842 Posts
my saulosi have been like rabbits (typical for these guys), even when 35 of them along with the 6 afra cobue were about 1"-1.75" and in a 20gal clear rubbermaid container. I was shocked when I moved them all to the 90gal to find females of both species holding while that small. In the 90gal my male Cobue at 2" shovels sand like a bulldozer and keeps everyone away, even a 4 inch female yellow fin borleyi, I got 6 fry from a cobue female and have a second holding what looks like a very large clutch. No probs with spawning at all even with the slight crowding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I Have afra Chewere, Saulosi & Hongi togeather in the same tank without any problems at all they spawn regulary, all are coloured 99% of the time.

What works for some might not work for others, give it a try and see how you go on if they dont get along then change the stocking around a little.

As you have a good number of females for them i think they would be more concerned with their females than anything else.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, have moved the saulosi in over night with the hongi's. No sign of trouble yet, will keep an eye on things then move the afra's in at a latter stage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have saulosi,hongi,polit,afra and flavus at same tank.Without any problem because they are mbunas.İf you have a big tank and correct number male and female plus alot of rocks you can keep them very easy together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts