Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a very pretty female C. Afra Cobue (pretty sure she is a Cobue) and was thinking about setting up a tank to breed her. I wanted to get a male and some more females (not sure exactly how many.) I was wondering what the minimum tank size would be and how many females to get. Space is a definite factor, as my husband is not happy about my getting another tank at all.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That doesn't look like a female Cobue to me, but I could be wrong. Female Cobue are on the drab side, not usually that deep of a blue.

It looks like a female White Top (Cynotilapia sp., but not classified as afra).

If it is a White Top, you'd need a minimum 4 foot tank, 55G.

The males are quite boisterous.

Kim

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly that picture is touched up some. She is blue, but a much more gray blue than that. She has mild bands as the pictures show, but they change in intensity at the drop of a hat. Her lower fins have black edges and her tail and dorsal fin have a very distinct, yet very thin yellow edge to them. She looks very much like both the female and young female shown for the Cobue profile: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1371
Actually, she looks like a cross between the two, with a color in between the two as well.

When I got her, I was told she was a juvenile boy Cobue and would color up. She didn't, and I found her holding a week ago. (The daddy is almost definitely a cobalt zebra, but not sure what the babies will look like.) I have moved her from my all male mbuna tank to a 10 gallon tank.

In any case, I simply adore this fish and want to keep her, so need to set up a new tank for her. I was thinking of doing a single species tank with her, a male, and some other girls... with the hopes of breeding her. But, I am not sure what the minimum size tank is and how many girls I should get. I did notice Afras under the cookie cutter 40 gallon 2-3 species tanks, so was thinking I might be able to get away with something a little smaller, especially as it would be one boy and a few girls, which all books say are not territorial (she is not territorial at all.) I was hoping I could do a 20 gallon, but thinking a 30 might be necessary????

In any case, I am interested in everyone's experience on what size and how many girls to get...

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've worked with a lot of Cobues in the last year or two. Fun fish!

It could very well be a Cobue female IMO but it does look like a white top or blue reef female with that photo touch up. I have had some with very interesting blue and purple female cobues especially in fish that were raised outdoors. The males from this line did not show much of a impressive orange blaze as the strain with more drab females.

Give them a tank with a 36 inch length and they will be happy. 48 and they will thrive.

In my experience they only live up to their full potential when the top fish in the tank. Anything more aggressive or dominant and don't expect the males to look their best and breeding will be slowed. Great for a species tank but the females are generally very drab and makes for a dull tank. Electic Yellows work great. Rainbows or acei for open water action are great to pull cobue out of the rocks as they tend to stay hunkered down somewhat.[/img]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts