Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to do, all connections tight and sealed would it be because the out line is larger than the in line from the sump? 90 gallon tank with about a 700 gph pump and a 6ft lift. 3/4 in from sump and a 1inch that T's off at the top of the tankl. Does it need some back pressure at the outlets?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe cavitation?...a small blurb of air somewhere in the intake side...I have that problem sometimes with my 3 xp canisters after cleaning... just my $0.02.

·
Registered
376 Posts
same here ..still trying to find out why??? tiny bubbles blow out every 5-10min for like 5sec then stop....well my is 210gallon with 40gallon sump 1440 gph pump before headloss ...back then i was tried to fill the sump of higher ,its seen to help a lil bit but now i put the same trick does not work anymore still blow tiny bubbles ......

·
Registered
35 Posts
just saw this in the DIY forum...
some restriction on the return side is good. It reduces problems with cavitation inside the pump. Too much will waste energy and conceivably damage plumbing if the pump is oversize for the system. 1.5" outlet pumps are often for ponds, or they are sump pumps. Sump pumps are not considered continuous service. Tell us more about your pump. Even a Mag 24 pump (2400 gph flow) has only a 1" outlet. Matching flexible pipe from the pump to the tank where it is attached to return nozzles or a spray bar seems like the best way to go. 3/4" pipe has one fourth (not one half) the capacity of 1.5" with more friction, so that is a huge reduction.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IT WAS ORIGINALLY SET UP WITH A 3200 GPH IN AUG OF O7 THAT WAS WAY TO MUCH FLOW AND WAY TO MUCH HEAT. SO I SWITCHED TO THIS 800 GPH WITH 3/4 IN AND 3/4 OUT. THE PREVIOUS 1.5 INCH LINE FROM THE SUMP IS NOW AT 3/4 AND THE PREVIOUS LINE THAT WENT INTO THE TANK FROM THE PUMP IS STILL AT 1 INCH HARD PIPE THAT T'S AT THE TOP OF THE TANK LEFT AND RIGHT THEN INTO THE TANK WITH CAPPED ENDS THAT HAVE 3 HOLES EACH AT 3/8 INCH EACH IN A FAN PATTERN. I HAD THE BUBBLES DOWN TO ALMOST ZERO YESTERDAY AND THIS MORNING WHEN I CHECKED THEY WERE BACK AGAIN.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts