Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the tank I am setting up for some german blue rams. I'm filtering with peat. The guppy grass doesn't seem to like the high tank temp or being directly in the filter flow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
what leaves are these in your tank they make a nice looking feature but you may they leach inot your water and could increase nitrates too the safest bet on putting leaves into your tank would be almond leaves and alder cones they will bring otu a tea staining to the water too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comments. They are oak leaves I bagged a couple of years ago. I have enough to swap them out when they get mushy and start to break up. I like the effect of the light through them. I'm not worried about leaching as I am running peat in the filter. I'm not sure what to expect for nitrates in this tank with the peat filter and low lighting. I'm running about 6w of led lighting for about 4 hours a day. I'm really into the low light almost spot lighting look - the antibox of light. -Andy

·
Registered
364 Posts
If I'm not mistaken oak leaves are basic and thus will make your water more basic and rams liek slighlty acidic water something you may want to consider

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point though I am not sure how much two leaves can do to the water. Besides I am starting out with tap water

·
Registered
705 Posts
its just one or two decent sized fully dried leaves. per week. end of the week pull em out and toss new ones in there. u can also get leaves online for your tanks. straight from the amazon and all natural. ur choice. either way pull em out more often then not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts