Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like help sexing my midas.
let me know what type of photos would help. should i remove him and take vent pics as well as vent pics in the tank?
he moves gravel and loves to clear a good 2 foot area every time i clean his tank, but i do not know if that makes him a male.
his vent does stick out some and is kinda pointed and slightly angled back.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
You don't need to remove him and take pics, as long as you can get semi-decent vent shots when he's in the tank. It's usually pretty easy to tell.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay, i tried but he just wont sit still. he sees me and wants to say "hi".
plus the color around the vent matches it. makes it hard.
here are some...

heres a closer one

do actions mean anything?
he always clears a big crater size hole after i clean his tank, and he likes to draw blood if i mess with it.
oh and the hump... do they grow and shrink with sexual nature or food supply? it used to be bigger when i got him... maybe its a fatty deposit?

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
He's a male.

Actions don't necessarily mean anything. Females dig, and can be just as aggressive, thought not typically. And yes, the nuchal hump can grow and shrink.

·
Registered
37 Posts
:eek: Wow, I want him lol. He is a stunning male.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, he seems pretty mild by what i hear they can be. he was in with my africans for awhile but i felt he looked out of place and i didnt like the extra bio. he did fine though.

he is in a 75 now and will eventually move him and a compatible female to something in the range of a 125 to 150

1 - 18 of 18 Posts