Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my midas cichlid seems to be changing colors. when i got him a few months ago he
was a nice, dard orange and now he is a pale orange. as i am new to fish-keeping
i have no idea what is wrong with him.

~~Jesse~~

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Midas/RD change colours often multiple times as they mature....it's actually pretty uncommon for their juvie colours to last to their adult colours.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Technically, no. Red Devils are Amphilophus labiatus, and midas are Amphilophus citrinellum. But most fish available today are actually a cross of the two anyway.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Red Devils are Amphilophus labiatus found in Lake Nicaraqua, Nicaragua; whereas Midas are Amphilophus citrinelum from many areas of Central America.

Red Devils were introduced into the US in the early 1960's and the Midas in the early 1970's. It is very hard to find pure specimens of either species at your LFS.

I personally think there are hybrids in the wild. I have a monster male RD (Doctor Death) that looks like he is 99% Midas, even though his parents were large-lipped Red Devils. (Both Wild)

·
Registered
345 Posts
zoyvig said:
Red Devils are Amphilophus labiatus found in Lake Nicaraqua, Nicaragua; whereas Midas are Amphilophus citrinelum from many areas of Central America.

Red Devils were introduced into the US in the early 1960's and the Midas in the early 1970's. It is very hard to find pure specimens of either species at your LFS.

I personally think there are hybrids in the wild. I have a monster male RD (Doctor Death) that looks like he is 99% Midas, even though his parents were large-lipped Red Devils. (Both Wild)
It's said that they do not get fat lips in tank setting. It's thought to be due to diet... snail diet not being given.
The parents did not lose any lip since capture ? That is said by some, to occur as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts