Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking of raising a midas, but i was thinking of a tankmate
would a species of pike cichlid for example C. "Xingu" go well
if i got them both as tiny juveniles and grew them together?

before you ask the tank is 4ft and i realise thats abit small but when the fish grow out some more and look crowded i wouldnt hesitate to buy a larger tank.
would this work ? or should i stick just to a midas

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Xingu 1's do tend to be one of the more aggressive pikes, so it would probably be your best bet ... but I'd still be hesitant myself in that 'small' of a tank. Aquascaping would be key, despite getting to the same length of the midas, the long low profiles means you can make caves the midas can't follow into. A prerequisite if you are going to try it.

61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i would definately set the tank out so there are distinct terrirtorys
i keep Mbuna in a seperate tank so im used to making territory with rock slate etc
i know cichlids particularly aggresive ones tend to live well with a tankmate if they grow up together, thats why i had this idea

·
Registered
871 Posts
I had that combination for a while in a 55 gallon until my pike mysterious died. I am not sure that take too well to high tempatures. It worked great because they are so fast, but remember, they eat like oscars and are very rutherless when eating. Once they are full grown, the tank size will need to be double that...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.