Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Not sure just how much bio-filtration the Bio-Wheels actually perform, but I like those things! Back in the day... The bio-wheels on my own Penguin and a couple of Emperor 400's I owned never caused any micro-bubbles. Keeping the water consistently 'in the black' (plastic rim on glass tank) provided a smooth, splash-free discharge flow into the aquarium.
However, the use of a powerhead, wavemaker or other such current producing thing? Those are notorious for creating micro-bubbles!

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Hmmmmm.....
I'm still kinda tempted to add a small canister like a fluval 207 to the tank and completely remove the second penguin but I think it would probably just be a waste of money.
Oh no, that's NOT true at all!
With the new canister,
  • Redundancy. You'll have a backup Penguin 350 placed in layup/standby mode if needed, due to problems or something breaking.
  • Quarantine. Dunno about you, but a single, biologically established- Penguin 350 on a 10 or 20 gallon tank, would offer some pretty nice capability to have in a quarantine tank.
  • Visual Upgrade. Get an inline, electric heater to mount onto the discharge hose of the Fluval canister. Heating works much more efficiently with in-line heating, and it removes yet another piece of unwanted, 'Visual Tech' out of the natural look of the inside of your aquarium.
-
The media for the unused Penguin 350 could be utilized in the new canister. At first, that would be to help start it up biologically. Later, just to keep it established. The current electric heater could be placed in layup/standby also for later use ISO the Quarantine tank. The Quarantine tank could be kept dry, until needed for use.
A nice boost in filtration capability, with a visual upgrade for your show tank to boot? What's not to like about that?!! :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
ALWAYS go with the filter that has sufficient capacity to 'go-it-alone' temporarily if needed, in the event that the companion HOB fails....
Definitely, go with the Fluval 307 Canister! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
It should. But, if you're not sure, you could probably get the dimensions of that canister from the web site. Maybe a phone number or some other type of contact info will get you some sizing info. I'm guessing you are purchasing that canister filter online?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts