Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have called a friend who is Vet and she has called in a script for 240 - 250mg metro tabs for me, and my mother is a pharmacist so I can get them for about $8 for 100 tablets.

My question is that is Metro for human consumption the same thing and will work/dissolve as well as the stuff specifically marketed for fish?

If it does, I cant really go wrong getting 240 of them for about $20.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
584 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
So I have called a friend who is Vet and she has called in a script for 240 - 250mg metro tabs for me, and my mother is a pharmacist so I can get them for about $8 for 100 tablets.

My question is that is Metro for human consumption the same thing and will work/dissolve as well as the stuff specifically marketed for fish?

If it does, I cant really go wrong getting 240 of them for about $20.

Thanks for your input.
I would ask your vet friend. As far as I know, if it's the same name it's the same stuff, just usually packaged differently based on the size needed for the animal, be it human or dog or what have you. But, your vet will know.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She said it was the same stuff but the tablet might look different. Low and behold tho I went and got them and they are exactly the same as the Fish Zole tablets I had just ran out of. That made me feel alot more at ease. Same markings and all.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Interesting. I would have suspected that the fillers for aquatic metro would have something to help it dissolve more readily in water. Let us know if you see any difference in how quickly it dissolves or if it flocculates...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
triscuit said:
Interesting. I would have suspected that the fillers for aquatic metro would have something to help it dissolve more readily in water. Let us know if you see any difference in how quickly it dissolves or if it flocculates...
Well I dissolved the first tablet of this metro just now and got the same results as I did with the Fish Zole. I would say there was about the same or maybe a little bit less of the undissolved white stuff in the bottom of the cup as there was before with the actual Fish Zole. I usually fill this little dish about half way with tank water, drop in the tablets, and some food. Let it soak for about 5 min and then dump the mix in the tank.

I am convinced that it is the same and have no second thoughts about using it the same way as I did when it was in the Fish Zole bottle.

Hope this helps others too, but I do believe without my mother being a pharmacist and getting her discount, it would have been like $25-30 for a 100 tablets. So it would at least save you about $15-20, the shipping, and some time waiting for your order.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
You would also have to pay the vet an office visit or some kind of fee for writing the prescription.

If you buy the metronidazole from a fish-room-type supply place it costs less than the usual LFS prices.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cost me $5 for writing the script, $8 for 100 pills so I have $18 invested in it. Onilne I was looking and the cheapest I could find them for was around $30 for 100 not to mention the shipping. Like i said it may not be as much of savings since I get them cheaper than most, but still at about the same or a few bucks cheaper and not having to wait for them to ship when you need them now is a big plus for me.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
How many grams is that?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure how many grams that would be since they are tablets but it would equal out to 25000mg worth of treatments. Each tablet treats 10g of water.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
That's a good price!

However, for those who would have to pay retail for the human grade...the fish room-type suppliers are selling it for less. PM me if you want vendor names.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts