Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dosed my 2 tanks today because a couple fish have been showing signs of bloat.

i dosed per instructions on the bottle a capful (10g) per 10 gal.

55gal tank everyone looks to appear fine (besides still showing signs of bloat)

30gal my redtop albino , my kenyii and my eureka have red gills (under gill plates)? not bloody by any means ... you can just see red through the gill plates

is this normal for metro+? or did i perhaps over dose that tank?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
It's hard to overdose with metro- especially in high-pH tanks.

I don't think it has anything to do with the meds, but it could be a sign of stress from the disease you are treating.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Metro is a bactericide I think?

Is it possible it's also had a negative effect on your beneficial bacteria (the filtration types) and you're now seeing the beginnings of an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spike happening? Could be.

Grab yourself a reputable test kit and take a look at those. If so, you'll need to ride out a 'new tank syndrome' situation. Get started with the frequent water changes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you only treat the tank once with metro? and i took my filter media out when i added the metro and have it soaking in aquarium water from WC before i dosed. when is it good to add my media back?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Metro does not affect your biofiltration, and I recommend treating with metro daily for 4 days... with large water changes each day. What do your package directions say?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they dont say how many days. doesnt even say what it treats. just that a capful per 10 gal . and water change every 24 hrs. the fish already seem a whole lot better and i dosed it sat. afternoon

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
What product are you using?

I'm glad your fish are looking better- that's good news. However, I suggest that you do a 50% water change and dose the tank again. Not many bugs are going to be killed by a one-shot dose of metro.

I use metro for bloat or wasting disease- anytime that the fish has something funky in its gastrointestinal system. It's gentle, even on holding females, and seems to fix the intestinal tract issues. I use Epsom salt at the same time as metro- 1 TBS per 5 gallons- it acts as a laxative to help clean out the gut of the fish.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hikari metro+ ill have to get some more asap. the lfs didnt tell me i needed to do it more than once and i dosed my 30 gal saturday also so im out! i have used aquarium salt in my tank also before but hesitant to add more at WCs...is it the same as epsom?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts