Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 55 gallon tank in which I only have 2 fish in, the Metriaclima Zebra is constantly picking up gravel and moving it. He spent the entire morning doing it, he seems adamant about re-arranging the cichlid stone. It is right at the opening of the cichlid stone that is being buried. The socolfi seems to be relegated and banished to the other side of the aquarium, as anytime he comes within reach, he is chased away.

Do you think my "he" could in fact be a "she?" It does constantly have a bloated stomach.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Males do a lot of digging as part of their territory management. If anything, it tells me it is more likely a male.

In time, it is probable that he kills the socolofi, as two mbuna in an aquarium are not a long term solution.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I agree with Fogel.

For starters, you'll want to attain 1 male and 4-5 females for each of the two species you have. You may even consider a third species.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
Bloated stomach is not good, either. You're either overfeeding or it has bloat.
Well I can rule out the overfeeding bit. At best, I feed 1X a day, and just a little pinch. I like to keep my fish hungry! My motto is a hungry fish is a happy fish

On days that I don't feed them, it is not bloated. But it seems like it gets full from the little bit of food I drop in the tank.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fogelhund said:
Males do a lot of digging as part of their territory management. If anything, it tells me it is more likely a male.

In time, it is probable that he kills the socolofi, as two mbuna in an aquarium are not a long term solution.
Really? At the LFS the socolofi profile says it's aggressive, and it didn't even list a metriaclima. But when my convict matures, I plan on putting him in the 55 gallon. Will that be a problem, or should I find the cash to purchase another tank for it?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Elijah said:
Fogelhund said:

Really? At the LFS the socolofi profile says it's aggressive, and it didn't even list a metriaclima. But when my convict matures, I plan on putting him in the 55 gallon. Will that be a problem, or should I find the cash to purchase another tank for it?
It is how all mbuna work. The dominant one chases the others. You've already said the zebra chases the socolofi. What is recommended for keeping mbuna, is to have enough fish to spread this aggression around. It a tank your size, I would suggest around 10 mbuna, but you should pick them carefully, so you don't end up with further aggression issues. A single convict would be fine in your tank, with the addition of quite a few fish. A pair would cause issues.

Add in ONE fish on it's own, and in all probability it is dead.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fogelhund said:
It is how all mbuna work. The dominant one chases the others. You've already said the zebra chases the socolofi. What is recommended for keeping mbuna, is to have enough fish to spread this aggression around. It a tank your size, I would suggest around 10 mbuna, but you should pick them carefully, so you don't end up with further aggression issues. A single convict would be fine in your tank, with the addition of quite a few fish. A pair would cause issues.

Add in ONE fish on it's own, and in all probability it is dead.
Ok, thanks Fogelhund. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts