Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a Mbweca and I am wondering what the official name is these days. From what I understand it was considered a Cynotilapia due to size and personality, but was renamed metriaclima due to the teeth... Is this correct?

Also does anyone know their temperment? I get worried about metriaclima, but apparently this one is like a cynotilapia? I have a very mild all male mbuna tank with a lot of labs and cynos...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I have a group of 2m/4f Met. mbweca. My dominant male is 3.5" as are my females. I would say they are fairly aggressive. Mine likes to fight alot with my yellow lab male that is the same size. They are a very nice fish though. I think a male would be fine in an all male tank though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
"Mbweca" is only the name of the region. When I used to keep these, they were Cynotilapia afra, Mbweca. There could very well be a Metriaclima sp. variation named Mbweca as well.

Things are constantly changing with lake Malawi's inhabitants' taxonomy. When in doubt try Fishbase.org they seem to be the most up to date.

Oh yeah, and about their temperment .... anything smaller than a 75g, and I would reccommend no more than 2 males. Aggressive but non-destructive. You'll see plenty of mindblowing dominance and sexual displays. My males never actually hurt each other though.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got him and he is simply beautiful... and his temperment is much more consistent with my cynotilapia than metriaclima.... He is such a mild mannered guy!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I was wondering if anybody has any pics of the females of these guys. Are they as drab as most cynotilapia?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a male (in my all male tank), but from what I understand the females are actually a little brighter than the males and don't have a black face. I will post a picture of my male later and you can see how black his face is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.