Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have like an extra 3ft long tank I'm not sure how many gallons it is, it was a gift from a friend but anyways I was wondering what to add to it like what looks cool I already have an established 56 gal. Demasoni and Yellow Lab tank going really well and would like to know what else to occupy the tank with. I was thinking Metriaclima Estherae and an Albino Ps. Socolofi I really like the orange and love the characteristics of the Albino Socolofi but will the cross breed or are the temperaments too much for one another or what would be a better suggestion in general if anyone has any? Anyways this is what's on my mind and would like to know what to go with thanks.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I have both of these in my 55g. (along with several other species too :oops:) . One of each are the tank bosses and now live next door to each other at one end of the tank. The albino socolofi isn't real happy that I moved the red zebras cave next to his but they don't fight bad. I think they would make good tank mates if the tank is big enough. I've never heard of them cross breeding and can't say from experience because I'm pretty sure all 3 of my red zebras are male. Maybe someone else can help more.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
LOL The only fry I've had from any fish are from my maingano. I think my albino socolofi (have 3 of them also) are 1 male and 2 females but haven't had any fry from them yet. The one female has dropped eggs before but the male seems more interested in guarding his cave and showing off than breeding :roll: and I've never notice the red zebras paying attention to the female albino socolofi either.

Now maybe that makes more sence than just saying all 3 red zebras are male lol.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I'm confused. Are you looking to setup the 3ft tank for the Met. estherae/Ps. socolofi or are you looking to add them to your 56 gallon tank?

A 3ft tank will not be big enough to house anything but some dwarf mbuna. What is the dimensions of this tank?

What are the dimensions of the 56 gallon tank? By the sounds of it, its a tall tank with not much of a footprint - which isn't ideal for mbuna, but if it is working for you than you might be alright.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
why_spyder said:
A 3ft tank will not be big enough to house anything but some dwarf mbuna. What is the dimensions of this tank?
Or a group of the more peaceful peacocks, yellow labs, Rusties...

Or some of the Tanganyikan cichlids...

Your limitations will arise with mbuna. I wouldn't keep socolofi or red zebras in a 3 ft tank.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I was assuming the 3 ft tank was for the red zebra and albino socolofi but wasn't sure it was big enough. Guess it isn't.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why_spyder said:
I'm confused. Are you looking to setup the 3ft tank for the Met. estherae/Ps. socolofi or are you looking to add them to your 56 gallon tank?

What are the dimensions of the 56 gallon tank? By the sounds of it, its a tall tank with not much of a footprint - which isn't ideal for mbuna, but if it is working for you than you might be alright.
Well the dimensions are about 36"L 14"W 16"H I just measured it, the 56 gal. is a Marine Show tank not as long in the footprint but has way more than plenty of space and rocks with plants everywhere for the fishes benefit. My concern is for the 3ft tank the 56 is already established I was just sharing what I already have, As for the dwarf mbunas what species would you recommend or what is the most common?

Also I seen that you mentioned Yellow Labs and Rusties (Kim) would there be anything else to suggest? I'm sorry if I sound elementary but the tank is pretty nice and I would like to use it but use it with pleasure without bringing harm or dissatisfaction to the fish. [/quote]

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You could put a small group of one of the other dwarf mbuna, like Ps. saulosi.

Or, as I said before, if you were interested in peacocks at all, you could pick one of the milder mannered peacocks like the Bicolour 500 and put a small group of them in a tank that size, and maybe even get away with more than one male.

Honestly, since you already have the demasoni and Yellow labs, you might want to consider some Tanganyikans for your second tank, just to have more of a variety.

If you go with Malawians, I'd stick to one species.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.