Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
does anyone have experience of Melanocromis johannii living with OB Peacocks?
I have 4 mature OBs, 2 males, 2 females on 150x50x50 cm tank (about 80 gallons).
Now I'm going to introduce 5 more females OB and I could also add 2 males and 5 females of johannii (5cm).
Am I going to see OB and Johannii fight to death on this tank? Are Johannii as aggressive as I read?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Johannii are aggressive yes. Are you sure they are johannii and not cyaneorhabdos? I would not have more than 1 male johannii or cyaneorhabdos in the tank. 7 females with the one male if you try this. To manage aggression.

In either case I would say a combination of johannii and peacocks would have low odds for success as they are on opposite ends of the aggression spectrum.

It might work since they are OB peacocks (half mbuna) but have a backup plan.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
They will not necessarily "fight to the death", there is no reason for fighting other than for becoming the tank alpha. They may co-exist but the problem is that the Johanni might be more active and dominant and ruin the color of the hybrid males. If you value these OB Peacocks very much you probably shouldn't risk the Johanni and just try to make the OB Peacocks happy and healthy, so they look their best and breed (not sure if you really care about the hybrid fry).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts