Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the very early stages of putting together stocking ideas for a 125g mbuna tank. I have always liked the look of M. Auratus but have heard so many horror stories that I am scared to even attempt to keep them. There is another species however, Melanochromis vermivorus that has a similar look - is this species as aggressive as M Auratus? Does anyone have experience with this particular fish?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
41,517 Posts
You don't want to mix labs and red zebra. I found the hara and acei to be similar in color...I ended up rehoming the acei for something with more contrast.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
All those striped Melanochromis seem pretty obnoxious, but you can always try in a 6 foot tank. You want it rather crowded, and a good idea to keep any other species that have males that might challenge the Melanochromis. Chipokae is a favorite, males look so cool but get big and do not tolerate challengers. As far as Vermivorus, I'm not sure that the hobby has always had them labeled correctly. The whitish Vermivorus females might be good since they would be very different from those other species.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
You don't want to mix labs and red zebra. I found the hara and acei to be similar in color...I ended up rehoming the acei for something with more contrast.
I am in agreement with you about the Labs and Red Zebra. I wasn't thinking when I made my original quick response.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.