Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a local breeder who has a bunch of Mel.Cyaneorhadbos(Mainganos) juvies 1.25" for sale and I was thinking of adding them to my tank.

The tank is a 120 gallon with a lot of rock and hiding places, currently it has 6 Labidochromis caeruleus (Kakusa) and 6 Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli) all juvies as well <2"

Will the Mainganos get along with my more peaceful Mbuna Setup. I plan on adding 1 other species in addition to the Mainganos, trying to find some Rusties but they seem rare in my area right now.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mainganos would work with the labs,aceis & rusties(if you find some) - they'd most likely be "the top of the pecking order". As said , aggression is more with each other. The same is true for the labs, aceis & rusties, but with Mainganos there is a tendancy(sometimes) of that overlapping to other tankmates; but the footprint of your 120 will help - They are mbuna

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had Labs, Rusties, Acei, & Mainganos for 9 mos. So far so good. The Mainganos pretty much just pick on each other. Time will tell, but the dominant male is around 3.5 inches, so hopefully if he were going to get nasty he would have by now.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have labs, acei, socolofi and mainganos. My tank has been up for 10 months and the mainganos were added about 7 months ago.

Until recently the tank has been pretty peaceful. The mainganos were not that bad. Recently one of the large females got ready to spawn (it finally happened yesterday) and the big male has been harder to live with. He is about 3.5" while all the other maingano are clearly smaller. He has been chasing everybody in the tank the last few days, especially two of the other maingano that I now believe are males also. I'm hoping things will settle down soon, and of course I plan to remove the sub-dom males, I just didn't want to do it right now.

Based on my experience, you should be ok with mainganos (they are beautiful fish), but you can expect them to be pretty aggressive at least at times.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I keep mine with yellow labs and Metriaclima sp. "dolphin" (Ndonga) in close quarters (will move dolphins when they get bigger). I have had them for nearly a year and the only aggression is con-specific. They pretty much ignore the others. The aggression goes in cycles and does get pretty intense, but I have only lost one. I expect it to subside when I get my m/f ratio in order.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts