Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a Magnum 350 and a Fluval Plus 2 on my 55 gallon aquarium. I have ceramic rings in the media chamber of the Magnum with the filter sleeve around it. Decided that it was time to replace the sleeve rather than rinse it in tank water again due to the sludge that had grown on it. Should I anticipate an ammonia spike or should the rings, fluval, and substrate be able to carry on the necessary filtration?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Should I anticipate an ammonia spike

Best answer is a solid, maybe.
So many things come into play on this.
I like the old saying
Expect the best, but prepare for the worst.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would think any spike would be small. This also would depend on how heavaly loaded your tank is. :fish:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Depends on how long the tank has been set up. If it's been up for several months, then you should be fine IME. For future, rinse it aggrssively and often and it won't grow much in the way of a bacteria colony to lose when it's replaced. It typically wouldn't anyway because a filter pad covered with mulm is not a great environment for nitrifying bacteria. It'd mostly be inhabited by the heterotrophic bacteria that break down organic solids.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
That's a question that can't truly be answered by others. Each tank and operator are different so the results will be different. The only way to go is to hope for the best and test. Being prepared for the worst is always good policy. Ask what you would do and be prepared for any spike and then do the change. Testing will tell if there is a problem and then you put your backup plan in action. Next time you need to make the change you have firm information on what might happen. Other wise you only have a bunch of well meaning folks who tell you what happens in their case. Others experiences are helpful but personal experience is much better.

My experience says it will be fine but then I've never had your tank. :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got home from work today and tested the water. So far, so good. Not a trace of ammonia. Fish look happy. Many thanks for the advice to all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts