Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this was the right column,

but i guess ill give it a go.

I feed my mbunas Hikari cichlid excell, and nutrafin spirulina sticks.

Everytime i feed them the bigger mbunas stuff their mouths and then after seem to be labouring to breathe, until the pellets have been softened enough for them to swallow.

I know they are greedy eaters, but to me, that must make them uncomfortable.

Is it healthy for them to do that?

Tim

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone else feed there mbunas hikari cichlid excell and nutrafin spirulina sticks? what do you think about it?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Feed them slowly a few pieces at a time and then once you notice them asking for more give them a little bit.

Thats what i do anyway

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
That's the problem with pellets: it seems its easier for fish to over-feed on them then with flake and other foods. But one of the benefits of pellets is that there's not alot of waste--the pellets hold together so they don't disperse into small bits that get lodged under decorations and gravel where they break down and foul the water, or get sucked into the filter where they can slow the filter down or even clog it.

I wouldn't stop feeding them pellets. You can try a few things to help with this problem. Smaller pellets might be the answer. Also if you drop the pellets directly into a strong current, such as that comes out of the filter or from a jet then the pellets will kind of go all over the place making it hard for fish to get too many at once. If the pellets you use float try getting some that sink since it's easier for fish to hover them off the surface then hunt them down as they sink.
Another solution is to try dropping the pellets from several locations simoultaneously. You could also place a fake floating vine like plant in when you feed so that they have to hunt for the pellets around the branches. After feeding you could then remove the plant.

In answer to your question: is it safe/healthy for them to stuff themselves--the answer is NO, it is not. Not so much from the standpoint that they will get fat, which is a health concern, but these fish can literally eat themselves to death. So you're wise to be concerned.

This subject has been covered before so you may find other suggestions/solutions by doing a search. :)

Robin

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to soak the food, and the same thing happens, they stuff themselves fat. But I hear that soaking is not good because it takes the nutrients out of the food.
Feeding them smaller amounts at a time is a good idea, but *** tried that too, the mbunas that have food will still try to stuff more as I drop it in. I really dont have a problem with them getting sick, from overeating, I dont throw in too much food. I like to keep them slightly hungry.

Thanks for the input.

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts