Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I have been stocking my 450-gallon fish tank over the past week or so. I started out with Mbunas only, I was gone for a day and came home to my parents adding a variety of cichlids to the tank saying, "The guy at the fish store said we could put anything together." That is precisely what they did. The logic is that there is enough space for them all to live together peacefully. I wanted to double check this because everywhere I read I find that Mbunas cannot be put with other cichlids. My question is, can we mix Mbunas, Peacocks, and Haps in this massive tank? Is it really big enough to do whatever we want? If it helps I can provide an exact list of the fish we have/want to have. (Well mostly some of them I am unsure of what they are I am still researching that.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's definitely possible to mix Mbuna, Peacocks and Haps. It would be good to provide a stock list though, because some things work better than others. 450 gallons is huge!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pet stores will sell you anything. Remember Mbunas are vegetarians unlike Peacocks and Haps. Feed them the wrong diet and bloat becomes a huge risk. Because they have different diets feeding time can be a challenge when you have both. Take it from someone who didn't believe this 'nonsense' until all but one of my Mbunas died. My Peacocks & Haps are still doing fine. I have them in a 180gal now, will go into a 450gal which is scheduled to be delivered this Friday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm working on a full list right now; my problem is I do not know everything that I have.

I thought I was getting Mbunas that are omnivore such as Yellow Labs. We are feeding both veggies and meat right now.

Here is what I am sure we have:
1 Aulonocara sp. Firefish (dragon blood cichlid)
1 Common Pleco
15 Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Lab/Electric Yellow)
1 Labeotropheus trewavasae
4 Maylandia estherae
6? Maylandia lombardoi (Kenyi)
10 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Electric Blue)
2 Nimbochromis livingstonii
2? Pseudotropheus acei (Yellow Tail Acei)
? Pseudotropheus saulosi (Dwarf-mbuna)

As well as some Peacocks that I am unsure of what they are and Mbunas that I am uncertain of what they are (Assuming they are Mbunas)

-Thank you for your responses

·
Super Moderator
40,527 Posts
How long is the tank? You have some of the more aggressive mbuna in there. If the tank is more than 8 feet long then you could try it and report back. I don't think we hear from people with tanks that big very often.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tank is 8 feet long, 2 feet deep, and 42 Inches tall.

Which ones are the more aggressive?

Also, I think I was wrong about the labeotropheus trewavasae. Mine has a yellow top, not a red.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,527 Posts
The labeotropheus, the Maylandia (both species, but especially the kenyi/lombardoi) and the Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.