Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen people keeping the 2 species together is there anyone who is doing this with success long term

·
Registered
544 Posts
That depends on what you mean by 'success.' Can it be done? Yes. Is this an optimal environment for either group of fishes? No. In the long term most Aulonocara will be highly stressed by the hyperkinetic Mbuna; with predictable consequences. In general, Aulonocara fare much better when kept with fishes of similar temperament.

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
Seen people keeping the 2 species together is there anyone who is doing this with success long term
If the tank is large enough, the aulonocara can do OK with yellow labs and acei from the mbuna group. I have read posts from experienced fishkeepers here who have had success in a large tank if the more aggressive mbuna are added as juveniles AFTER the haps and peacocks are fully grown.

I did try and was not happy with either the acei or labs with haps and peacocks long term (2-3 years)...they did OK but better without the mbuna IME.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
As said, Mbuna tend to stress out Aulonocara. If you want the Aulonocara males to look their best and feel comfortable you shouldn't have many Mbuna, and the point of having Aulonocara is to have males show color. If you have a mix tank of Mbuna with Aulonocara, the Aulonocara may survive but look mediocre.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have large breeding populations of both together. No noticeable stress; the mbuna leave the peacocks alone. The problems that I'm currently having come from having multiple male aulonocara of the same species - they'll fight each other, but mostly the species leave each other alone.

Additional facts:
You mentioned long-term. These fish have been in my tank since March '21, so about 8 months now. Many were nearly full-grown adults when added, so it's not the case that they're still young. They've breed multiple times so far in there.

They don't color up quite as well as I've seen in all-male Peacock tanks. At least not yet... I think this is not affected by the Mbuna.

I didn't add only large peacocks either. I have a population (7) of Chitande Msinji's in there. They do fine. Seriously - completely unnoticed by all the other fish.

My friend @DJRansome mentioned that you can get away with it if you have a very large tank. I have a very large tank. The display is 3 meters long and 1,900 liters, not including sump.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have large breeding populations of both together. No noticeable stress; the mbuna leave the peacocks alone. The problems that I'm currently having come from having multiple male aulonocara of the same species - they'll fight each other, but mostly the species leave each other alone.

Additional facts:
You mentioned long-term. These fish have been in my tank since March '21, so about 8 months now. Many were nearly full-grown adults when added, so it's not the case that they're still young. They've breed multiple times so far in there.

They don't color up quite as well as I've seen in all-male Peacock tanks. At least not yet... I think this is not affected by the Mbuna.

I didn't add only large peacocks either. I have a population (7) of Chitande Msinji's in there. They do fine. Seriously - completely unnoticed by all the other fish.

My friend @DJRansome mentioned that you can get away with it if you have a very large tank. I have a very large tank. The display is 3 meters long and 1,900 liters, not including sump.
Your tank sound amazing you got any pics
My tank is only 625 litre 150 Long 65 wide 60 deep
Do you think it’s possible in this size

·
Registered
280 Posts
Another two photos by way of illustration.
This is James. An Ngara Flametail Stuartgranti. James is one of 4 Ngara Flametails we put in there. He is my most colored up species peacock. He has not yet acquired much flame...
Water Vertebrate Fin Underwater Fluid

The spiciest fight we had in here was James above with Abram below. At the time of the fight, they looked identical, which is typical. Abram lost and powered down. This took 4 days to a week, and it was no fun to watch those two go at it, but they got it sorted and now they live in peace. They seem to be completely unconcerned with other male peacocks, even other stuartgrantis.

Organism Lighting Fish Display case Marine biology

Sorry about the glare, lots of windows in the room on all sides of the tank.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Your tank sound amazing you got any pics
My tank is only 625 litre 150 Long 65 wide 60 deep
Do you think it’s possible in this size
Hey Paul - I'll have to let others speak to what's possible in a tank your size. My goal with this was to push the limits to see what's truly possible with a huge tank. While I think that this leads to quite a few annecdotally fun stories, and really pretty pictures, "SenorStrum's Mixed Malawi-ish Reef" is an outlier of a data point, and should probably be excluded from the data set. It occurs to me that I've jacked this thread. I hope I at least added something. Apologies for my bad behavior.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Paul - I'll have to let others speak to what's possible in a tank your size. My goal with this was to push the limits to see what's truly possible with a huge tank. While I think that this leads to quite a few annecdotally fun stories, and really pretty pictures, "SenorStrum's Mixed Malawi-ish Reef" is an outlier of a data point, and should probably be excluded from the data set. It occurs to me that I've jacked this thread. I hope I at least added something. Apologies for my bad behavior.
Was good to see and hear about your tank thanks for replying

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
OP's tank is 60 inches. Paul87...what is your goal? Best color or max variety?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OP's tank is 60 inches. Paul87...what is your goal? Best color or max variety?
Am wanting more colour but would of like a bit more variety also but thinking it might not be worth trying in my tank size need to pick what I would want more and just go with it I think or upgrade tank to something much bigger

1 - 18 of 18 Posts