Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started awhile back on my 55 gallon Mbuna and at the time I only had a yellow lab and black convict. After finishing my tank I decided to add three other species to my tank: Blue Cobalt, Cobue and Chewere. I spent so much time and then money on these fish and now I only have one cobalt blue who is very large and quite happy with and three mixed breeds (someone had fry but I never figured out who, they all have stripes like the convict and chewere but are all too young for color yet.) I was so beyond disappointed in my species endeavor that I haven't gotten anymore in my tank besides a placo... I fed them NLS cichlid formula and they all loved it. My most recent loss was my very last Chewere and he was a big guy! Probably almost 4 inches or so. I've tested my water I've always been in normal ranges and I even bumped up my canister filter for more power since I still battle with diatoms and poop on laying on my sand. I'm just feeling very discouraged and have even considered just tearing my tank down... Does anyone have any suggestions or help or explanation in what happened to all my fish friends? I'd like to get more and have a little more color in my tank but I don't want to lose them all like I did before.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Can you post your water parameters? Were any of the other fish beat up? Hiding under the surface or behind the filter intake?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At first my yellow lab was very aggressive he was my first one he lived in a 20 gallon for awhile and he was bigger than the others, but once my convict got to be his size that occupied his attention and he leaves the little ones alone, my 3 cross breeds are doing very well none of them really hide. I lost my big stock about a year and a half ago so i don't have what my water perimeters were at that time, but i can double check my water tomorrow for a recent check. I'm just apprehensive about getting more stock after all the money I put out and only have one to show for it! I was 20 when I started my tank and with a college kid budget I was super proud of the stock I had chosen. Any suggestions on some tank mates would be great also!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was my tank about a year ago, I haven't changed anything from original set up except for the canister filter upgrade

Attachments

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
How many Mbuna did you have? They are easier to keep crowded, like over 10 fish. Mbuna are challenging, but not sure what went wrong.

Convict is a Central America cichlid, so are you sure that was what you had?

You need to be aware if you have males fighting with each other of the same species, or if you have females being outnumbered by males and constantly getting harassed, all of which can lead to fish getting sick and dying. If a fish stops eating and becomes less active, they are sick from stress. Or sometimes a male becomes hyperdominant and beats up or harasses all of the fish til they are gone.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
You could try more rocks...it is said to fill the tank with rocks to the waterline.

Also try one blue barred fish per tank...the chewere may have been too rough for the cobue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
noki said:
How many Mbuna did you have? They are easier to keep crowded, like over 10 fish. Mbuna are challenging, but not sure what went wrong.

Convict is a Central America cichlid, so are you sure that was what you had?

You need to be aware if you have males fighting with each other of the same species, or if you have females being outnumbered by males and constantly getting harassed, all of which can lead to fish getting sick and dying. If a fish stops eating and becomes less active, they are sick from stress. Or sometimes a male becomes hyperdominant and beats up or harasses all of the fish til they are gone.
Almost 20 overall. And yes I did buy a convict I wasn't experienced about mixing yet this was before I decided to go bigger. All my fish were juveniles and I'm sure some of it was my inexperience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts