Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a very successful 60 gallon Peacock tank for about year with around 10 fish. I've recently purchased a 200 gallon tank(7'x2'x2'), and I'm considering stocking it full of Mbuna. With the size of the tank, how many fish should I be able to put in there? Are there any particular species I should avoid keeping together? I'm hoping the space to get away from one another should minimize issues that come with most Mbuna tanks.
Thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've never kept Mbuna but I'd say more space definitely makes a difference. In my 450gal (96"x36"x30") I have 22 male peacocks, 8 male haps, and 13 Frontosa. The only aggression is my larger Lithobathes z-rock chases the other around but the sight breaks make it a non issue. 4 of the peacocks are big beautiful Dragon Bloods who for some reason at times chase a few of the yellow or red peacocks but the tank is so spacious that they stop chasing about half way across the tank. In my 180gal these same fish (Dragon Bloods, other peacocks) tore each other apart until I moved them on to the lps. My 55gal was even worse.

I've heard it here that length is most important tank dimension and I've seen that, but let me tell you the 36" width in my 450gal also helps when the tank decor is setup correctly. Height also helps from what I've seen. My fish in my 450gal use the entire tank (haps in middle/top, peacocks middle/bottom, Frontosa at bottom). I'm really pleased with this setup.

I'm thinking in that 7' tank you should be able to stock a really nice Mbuna tank there. Not sure if the 'cookie cutter' tank setups give examples for tanks that large, but I'm sure someone here will be along soon to help guide you.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
I like 5 species in a 72" tank so 6 species in a 84" tank seems about right.

This would be for mixed gender with 1m:4f of each...depending on species.

When you choose the species, the total species and the m:f ratio could change.

I did not really notice different behavior from my mbuna whether stocked in a 72" tank or a 48" tank.

Unless they are a must, many would advise you avoid very aggressive fish like auratus.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts