Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a 90 gallon aquarium stocked with a few mbuna, going to get a more eventually. What I'm not sure of is whether my tank has enough hiding spots. It has lots of tunnels and places to stay out of view (a 2" gap all along the back between the rock pile and the glass), but there is nowhere that smaller fish can effectively hide from all the other fish. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Nice tank, I really like your Melanochromis (looks like interruptus but could be mistaken).

As for small fish hiding spots, just add some piles of rocks at the bottom. If you don't want to add rocks, just lower your overall height and expand the base. Make sure to eyeball the size of your aggressor fish and make the new caves significantly smaller than those.

I had to do this to keep my pink con alive against my green texas while I found a new home for her. It works wonders, not only does it prevent the fish from attacking your smaller ones, they eventually learn that they can't get to them and give up on trying. I noticed a slow decrease in aggression after redesigning my rockwork.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would just pile up the rocks more so than the nice neat stacks you have going on now. Give them spots that they can totally disappear into.

Like I and others have said before and done, just kinda "drop" (not literally) them in there and they tend to look pretty natural they way end up. The fish will squeeze into the smallest places and feel more secure than have a big opening where multiple fish can fit in. Just make sure they are sturdy so you dont have any fallers and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll try and add a few more rocks to the front to get some smaller hiding places and see how it works. As for the Melanochromis interruptus (you are correct), he still hasn't eaten and it's almost been a week. I don't think it's stress, he's the king of the tank, occasionally chasing the other fish around, and I've tried a variety of foods (flakes, shrimp pellets, algae disks, fresh lettuce) and he still doesn't seem interested. Any tips on what the problem may be?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts