Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so as my piranhas are still up for sale I have been doing a lot of research on what I want to stock in my 55g. Right now I am looking at

Labidochromis Caeruleus - Yellow lab 1M/3F or Pseudotropheus crabro - Bumblebee 1M/3F
Iodotropheus sprengerae - Rusty 1M/3F
Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" 1M/3F or Something else that is blue or red

I definitely want either the Yellow Labs or the Bumblebee's and obviously if I get the Bumblebees I would not get the Acei's to prevent hybridization. Any Ideas? This is not yet set in stone and the numbers won't be exact b/c I will be buying them very small and growing out then separating out what I have. What is Bolded is what I will probably get as they are available in my area, Or if anyone has suggestions on a red cichlid that will get along I am all ears I would probably just swap out the Rusty's for it. Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
The Ps. Crabro (bumblebee) will eventually get too large and also probably too aggressive for a 55 gallon tank. Ps. Acei kind of border on being too large for a 55 gallon as well, but at least they are much calmer.

I think the yellow labs and rusties are great choices for that tank size, but bump up the numbers to 1M 4F for each if you can.

As a third species I suggest Metriaclima Caillanos, aka. Cobalt blue zebras OR Cyntoilapia sp. Hara. Both of these have blue males and females and should get along well with the yellow labs and rusties.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok no biggie on the bumblebee's everything I have read went back and forth saying will and will not work so I just wanted to make sure.

As far as the exact numbers I will have I don't know yet, all the LFS's around here usually only carry them at about the 1" size and from what I understand that is too early to sex them right?

So is it just the red zebras that are nasty aggressive? I have read a lot about those but I must have missed the cobalt's but I will definitely check out the cobalts and the Hara's

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think cobalt zebras would be perfect as well given the types of colors you picked already. They also are much less likely to hybridize with your yellow labs. This tank will give you most of the color spectrum in three species and I think that's just awesome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts