Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new tank I am currently cycling and in a month or so I want to get mbuna cichlids for it. I have hardscaped it according to the info I can find (e.g. lots of hiding spots, some caves, different levels).

My Setup
65 Gallon tank
2 SunSun Hw303B 370GPH Pro Canister Filter Kit with 9-watt UV Sterilizer
LED lighting
Sand Substrate
Limestone and Slate rock

I have just a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me with (specifically about stocking).

Here is what I would like do have (these are based on the availability from my local rare fish store).
All are 1.5"-2" at point of sale

Labidochromis caeruleus Lion's Cove ''Yellow Lab''
Cynotilapia sp. ''Lion'' Mara Rocks
Chindongo sp. ''Elongatus Spot'' Hai Reef ''Jewel Spot''
Cynotilapia zebroides Chimate, Tanzania ''Red Top Dwarf''
Pseudotropheus sp. ''Perspicax Orange Cap'' Ndumbi
Chindongo saulosi Taiwanee Reef

Can I have just a single or a pair of a couple of these and more of others?
Like: more saulosi and fewer Chindongo?

I want a tank with vibrant popping fish that are interesting to watch and varied. I don't need to breed or have fry.
I don't know if I have the option of choosing sexes, so I thought some of these would be good (esp ones that have a yellow female and a blue male.)

What do you think?
Any advice or numbers would be appreciated.

I have other tropical fish tank and I do have a couple of GBR, but this will be my first dedicated cichlid tank.
I am keeping it only malawi unless that turns out to be a bad idea.

Thank you guys for your help. These fish are so amazing! I can't wait :D

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 65G?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
The 36" length is limiting when you want to stock mbuna. I would not do all-male...this is challenging enough even in a 48"x18" stillrectangle tank.

I would do a single species of small, peaceful mbuna like saulosi. You can properly overstock and still get 2 brilliant colors. Try for 3m:9f in this tank.

If you choose another small, peaceful mbuna, think in terms of one species with 1m:4f in the tank. This would work for yellow labs, or either one of the Cynotilapia species on your list.

Perspicax and elongatus are too aggressive for a 36" tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts