Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to cichlids as of four months ago. I currently have a 75g stocked with mbuna and will soon be upgrading them to a 125g (it is ready to go). I have the following stock that I will be transferring over, and will be adding some synodontis petricola (assuming lucipinnis) if/when I can. Current stock is:

75G Tank (stocked for 4 months)
6 Pseudotropheus Sp. Acei (yellow tail acei), size is ~3.5"
6 Labidochromis caeruleus (yellow lab), size is ~2-2.5"
4 Metriaclima estherae (Red Zebra), size is ~2-3"
4 Metriaclima Callainos (Cobalt Blue Zebra), size is ~2-3"
4 Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano), size is ~2-2.5"

10G Tank (just stocked 1 wk ago)
6 synodontis petricola (assuming lucipinnis), size is ~1-1.25"

All were stocked as juvenials/very young adults at the beginning of October 2017. I don't know the exact m/f ratios, but asked for 1m/3f on the red zebras and cobalt blue zebras (vendor was trying to vent the red/cobalt blue zebras, but I don't know about his accuracy). I didn't know much about cross breed/hybrids when I was stocking (so I get that my current mix will not be viewed well by some), however I'm not planning to keep/sell fry, so I'm not super concerned about cross breed/hybrids (please don't hate on me).

Both 75 and 125 are stuffed with rock work. Aggression doesn't seem to be a problem at this stage (though I know that I'm early on). I was thinking of adding a barred species when I move to the 125g. Was thinking of one the following: Cynotilapia Afra Jalo, Cynotilapia Afra Lupingu, Labidochromis Hongi, or Labidochromis Mbamba. However, I have read a lot of posts on this site about doing 5 species of 1m/4f in a 125G. Also have read that mainganos should be in 1m/7f ratios.

I have a couple questions.

1. Am I setting myself up for disaster with current stock if I add one of the above barred species (thinking of adding 4-6, sexed if possible) which is my desired choice, or will I avoid disaster by simply upping the number of fish within my current stock?

2. If aggression hasn't been an issue yet, and with the zebras and labs likely cross breeding, am I likely to be OK on my current stocking for them (will the fact that they cross breed reduce the need for specific m/f ratios of each species)? OR should I try to target adding one more female to their groupings (or will adding one fish to the new tank during transfer just make them a target)?

3. With the maingano, I have read that 1m/7f is best ratio. I haven't got a clue on m/f ratio on the 4 that I have. I was thinking of either leaving as is, or stocking 4 more unsexed juvies. Any advice on what is best, as I have doubts about my ability to sex them even long term?

4. When can I add the synos? Based off of the size their size of 1 - 1.25" vs the size of my Aceis at 3.5", do I need to grow out the syno's more before adding them, I would hate for them to be eaten? Will it matter if I add them before/after cichlids are getting moved to 125g tank? If I need I can keep the current stock in the 75g longer if it is more beneficial to grow out the syno's and add them to the 125g before the cichlids (or at the same time).

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
I would swap out the red zebras for the Cynotilapia zebroides Jalo Reef. I would add juveniles of all existing species to try to get more females. I would wait to add the Synodontis until they are 1.5" and it's fine to add them after everyone else is stocked in the 125G.

You can tell the females because they will hold fry.

Just be sure to remove survivor fry until you remove the red zebras.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DJRansome. I'm assuming you would swap out the red zebras, due to the cross breeding with the yellow labs and blue cobalts, is that correct? As far as adding more juveniles to all of the existing species to get a greater female ratio, are you thinking to stock everything up to around 8 fish/species (40 juveniles total)?

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
The swap is to avoid increasing the number of species and why not solve the cross breeding/fighting problem at the same time.

I don't like euthanizing survivor fry, so I prefer to avoid species that are likely to crossbreed.

You want to end up with 1m:5f of each (except maingano). Maybe you have a guess that your species with 6 already might be 1m:4f or close to that. Don't add any fish now. You can always add juveniles later if you find out you need more females.

The metriaclima, you are already light, so I would add 4 juveniles of each now.

When I stocked my maingano juveniles, I added 14 unsexed fish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rehomed the red zebras (i miss their bright orange in the tank :( ) and beefed up my current numbers (except for the acei), hoping to add the cats soon, but will wait for them to get a bit bigger. I never see them eat, so should I just plan on feeding them some sinking pellets after lights out when they move to the 125G with the ever hungry mbuna

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
The synodontis will compete with mbuna for food, no worries. Wait a month or two for you to see them.

While they are still in hiding mode...check their bellies when they occasionally swim up the glass. As long as they are not concave, you are good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts