Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I have decided on going with an mbuna tank and I need some advice. This will be my first cichlid tank. I have a 90g tank with a fluval fx4 (is this enough filtration?) and here is what I'm planning on stocking:

7 yellow tail acei
7 yellow labs
7 rusty cichlids
1 pictus catfish (currently in tank)
1 rainbow shark

Dose this seem alright? Would it be ok to buy all of the cichlids as unsexed? Do I need to worry about male to female ratios with these fish? Also I'm not experienced with fish breeding so what should I expect and prepare for?
Thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Jhenry2 said:
Hello guys, fluval fx4 (is this enough filtration?)
GPH is 700 so it's almost 8X hourly turnover which is enough.
Jhenry2 said:
Does this seem alright?
No comment on the pictus and shark, but mbuna OK.
Jhenry2 said:
Would it be ok to buy all of the cichlids as unsexed?
Yes
Jhenry2 said:
Do I need to worry about male to female ratios with these fish?
Likely yes, especially for the rusties.
Jhenry2 said:
I'm not experienced with fish breeding so what should I expect and prepare for?
You can let the mom's spit in the tank, or you can set up a separate maternity tank and put the holding mom in the maternity tank when she has been holding 18 days. I recommend a 20G Long or 55G for the maternity tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. If I do have a ratio problem is the solution to just remove extra males? For example with 7 rusties would I have to try for 2 males and 5 females or should I only keep one male?
If I do end up removing a bunch of males and I want to restock with females how would I do this? I see that mbunas are mostly sold unsexed online so would I have to add a bunch of unsexed juveniles to the tank and only keep the females?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
You just keep buying unsexed juveniles until you get enough females. With labs and acei they can be more tolerant of multiple males and you have a large tank. Rusties are hit or miss...let the fish guide you. Remove the trouble-makers and if three work great, but you might end up with one.

One male or three usually work better than two because two tend to focus aggression each other.

Check with your LFS or local hobby club to arrange your rehoming plan if necessary. Have an extra tank for rehoming/hospital/quarantine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts