Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to start a Mbuna cichlid tank with a standard 55 gallon (48x13x21). I'm cycling tank with a Pleco and Catfish with a bottle of Fritz 7 bacteria.
Once cycled, I'm seeking a yellow/blue color tank (brightly colored fish with minimal risk of over aggression). Did a fair amount of online research and watched countless Youtube videos. I initially looked at getting yellow labs, blue mainginos, red zebras and orange blotched zebras.
But now I'm steering more towards a safe route of around 15 juvenile Saulosi , a few Rusty and 4 Cynotilapia Zebriods. What do you all think???
Below are my tank stats. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Inhabitants:
Super Red Bristlenose Pleco
Synodontis Eupterus Catfish

Tank Bio/Decor:
Two HOB Top Fin 75 power filters
Sponge & filter floss media
Two Powerheads (wavemakers)
Caribsea Cichlid Sand
Universal Rocks Holey Rock 34"x5"×19" piece
4-16" artifical plants

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I would remove the pleco and the catfish and cycle with ammonia. Allow an average of six weeks. When you cycle with 2 fish, the tank is only safe for 2 fish. When you cycle with ammonia, the tank is safe for all 15 fish to be added at once, and no fish have to suffer in the process.

In a 55G I like a max of 3 species with 1m:4f of each and choose fish that look nothing alike (one blue barred species) and small, peaceful mbuna.

You could also do just the saulosi with 3m:9f. These are guidelines to give you something to shoot for. If you end up with a couple extra saulosi females and the tank seems to be working, no problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts