Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just looking on some suggestions for my tank. I had a pretty big colony of labs, but now I want some more variation. So far I'm keeping my 1 male lab, my 1 acei, and I think I might get rid of my 2 clown loaches, but they seem to be used to my tank so we'll see what happens.

Anyways I want some advice on fish that would make my tank colorful and fun to watch. So far on my list of fish to get I have a few afra jalo reefs, a few demasoni, and maybe another acei or two because I know they always keep my algae in check. Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
If you are keeping any breeding groups in the 55G I'd stick with 3 species. If labs is one and Acei is one go for six of each. For the third, Demasoni (minimum 15 fish) or Jalo Reef would be great. (I'd do the Demasoni myself because females are colorful.)

Mixing single fish with breeding groups does not work as well because it makes you too male heavy and practically guarantees hybrid fry problems.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
If you want Demasoni you will need atleast 12 better yet 15 as DJR recommended. You may also have aggresion issues with the Dems and Afra due to similar patterns.
A lone Lab and Acei would work but they both rather being in a harem and 3 or 4 or 5 looks better.

I think that 15 Dems a handful of labs and a handful of Acei would look good

Another option is maingano, labs, acei and then the Jalo reef. 4 of each :wink:

·
Registered
188 Posts
definitly go with acei, they swim together and look nice together

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Gibbs said:
...Another option is maingano, labs, acei and then the Jalo reef. 4 of each :wink:
Thats got my vote, of course I'm partial to Mainganos, there would be lots of "action" in that setup.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You could go with a group of Pseudotropheus socolofi (Albino) as well, if you can find them. I really like their snow white color.

Acei would work well and have been mentioned. I. Sprengerae (Rusty cichlids) would work well also.

I wouldn't keep these with Labs for hybridization issues, but you could alwyas go with Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt" or Red ebras.

Good luck and enjoy your fish!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so far this is my new list of fish to have in the future set-up.

3 Labs 1M 2F

3-4 Acei

4-6 Jalos

4-6 White Top Haras

PS: Could I substitute 12 demasoni's for the 4-6 White Top Haras? *** heard they are aggressive, but keep most of the aggressiveness only towards their own kind. The only reason I would like to do this is since I would like to have more fish, and White Tops would cost more to get in my area. I have 1 Emperor 400 and 1 Whisper 60 HOB, I am probably gonna switch the Whisper HOB out for an Emperor 400 or 280, so I don't think filtration will be a factor in the future. Any input?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Acei and Labs like to be in larger groups of 5-6 fish each. For maximum odds of success you might want to stick to 3 species in a 55G tank. Jalo Reef only the male will be colorful. Demasoni can definitely be one of the 3 species but maybe not with the Jalos who are also dark blue barred fish.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, maybe your right. Another thing I forgot to mention is I am pretty much done with breeding so it wont be a breeding set-up just mostly for looks and action. So now the updated list looks like this....

5 Labs

5 Acei

12-15 Demasoni

PS Any room for the White Top Haras? Maybe about 4 of them, I know you said it might be best to stick with 3 Species but I really wanted to get them, however if you think that wouldn't be for the best I wouldn't mind holding off on them until I get another set-up. Thanks for all the input so far guys!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I would do the white top hara's instead of the Acei. I find the female hara colors to be similar to the Acei anyway. When I downgrade my mbuna to a 75G tank, it's the Acei that are going and for that reason.

The Demasoni and the Cyno. sp. hara male colors look really cool together as though they were different versions of the same color scheme. Dems are the dark blue version and hara are the pale blue version.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah thats probably what I will do then, since the Acei have pretty booring colors anyways. Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts