Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this forum. I have searched this subject line and get a lot of common results along with many to avoid. My questions is not so much the choices but how to purchase them. I live in a location that LFS do not carry any kind of selection and usually with limited quantity. I have searched online ordering and this seems a good route to go but I really don't want to buy all adult fish and your choice then is always "unsexed juvinals". That concerns me as all suggestions are like 1m-3-5f, my luck 5m and 1f would be the resulting turn out. How do I get around this? I am going to go to a Spring Tropical Fish & Supplies Auction in May so maybe that will work out.

Another thing, I see many online sellers shipping 2-3 day now that the weather is better. Even so that sounds scary to me, has anyone used this service and how were the results? Anyway thanks in advance for your comments.
:fish:

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
I always get my online fish flown overnight and I meet them at the airport then straight home.

Buy 8 unsexed juveniles and rehome extra males if they cause trouble...typically after one year. Auctions are a good place to rehome fish.

The other thing about auctions...the best vendors donate and you can usually piggyback your personal order on what they are shipping for the auction...less shipping that way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DJ
I am not ready for fish but I saw an Auction May 11. I'm going to go anyway to check it out. I also found a Cichlid breeder just under 2-hours from me. I'll drive that for sure

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have had fish shipped by air five times in the last ten years. I pick them up from the airport the same day they are shipped. Two of the five times were in March and April and Manitoba (supplier) and Alberta (me) can be pretty cold still those months especially in the late evening. I expressed concern up front and the supplier said he worries more about summer shipments and the heat. At least in the winter they use heat packs. I have never had a problem.

I order on-line when I cannot find what I want locally. I am often buying f1 and wild caught fish. If you are new at fish keeping you might want to start with the more "common" fish if you can buy locally before you start making larger commitments money-wise and time-wise.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
The airlines do a good job of keeping the fish at a decent temp whether on the plane or in the loading/unloading/pickup areas IME.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts