Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually the astatotilapia group likes to « sleep » near the top of the water but this morning there is one fish staying on top. He is not breathing fast and not trying to get air from the surface. Just staying there, almost still. It's been going on for at least 10-15 minutes now. Maybe longer, I wasn't always watching.

Why is he doing that ? Here's a video I just took :

Thank you !

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
He is feeling harassed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
He is feeling harassed.
I watch my tank pretty much all day, it's right in front of my face and I'm not seeing any bullying of this particular fish. I have one or two different fish that stay in the corner though and for those I know they feel harassed.

How is staying on top in plain sight help him ? And what can I do to help if there is no fish guilty of picking on this particular fish ? Could he just be overwhelmed with the general « feel » of the tank ?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Yes to all. All I can tell you is that position is where the victim fish go. I wondered the same thing when I started...look at all the caves, why doesn't he just stay in one and defend the entrance rather than the total exposure of the surface? I have no logical answer, I and others have observed this over the years.

If any fish is lurking at the top, maybe it is making the entire tank feel less safe to the rest of the fish.

If there is no chasing fish...even of the 2 that hang out there that DO feel harassed, all you can do is remove the victim(s).

What are the dimensions of your tank? What is your stock list with sizes and genders?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tank is 48x18x20 (75 gallons).

Stock list (we've talked about Demasoni before but so far I'm not having problems with them). All fish are juveniles still but aceis and labeotropheus are breeding. Maybe demasoni too.

Labidochromis caeruleus : 2m/2f ? 3 inches for the dominant male the others are a lot smaller
Pseudotropheus demasoni (Pombo rocks) : 3m/1f ? 2-3 inches
Pseudotropheus acei Ngara : 1m/2f 3-4 inches
Labeotropheus fuelleborni OB (Chinyankwazi island) : 1m/2f 3 inches
Cynotilapia sp. lion (Mara rock) : 1m/3f 1.5 inches
Astatotilapia Latifasciata/zebra obliquidens : 1m/3f ? 2.5 inches

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I would lose 2 species (demasoni and something else) and add females for the rest. Add females to every remaining group and try to get 7 females for the labeotropheus if you keep them.

Spawning does not mean thriving, just in case that is the reason you mentioned it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
I would lose 2 species (demasoni and something else) and add females for the rest. Add females to every remaining group and try to get 7 females for the labeotropheus if you keep them.

Spawning does not mean thriving, just in case that is the reason you mentioned it.
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind for the future. No, I was mentioning it because it gives an idea about size. The tank is still relatively new (3 months old) so I'll give it a chance but if needed I'll definitely make changes.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Keep an eye on the fish lurking under the surface. If it goes on too many days they will become sick. Make sure they eat every day and the feces are thick and food colored.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
Keep an eye on the fish lurking under the surface. If it goes on too many days they will become sick. Make sure they eat every day and the feces are thick and food colored.
The fish store/breeders I bought all my fish from told me they would have liquid poop and that I wouldn't see feces on the substrate. At first I didn't think much of it but after a while, I realized it was happening. There is very little apparent feces. Sometimes a small piece of white poop floating around and some brown ones that I vacuum, but very little compared to all the fish I've had in my life.

I'll make sure they eat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts