Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have finally purchased a second hand tank which had some coral Rock in it but little in way of features.

I have bought a load of slate and some blue pennant stone which is being soaked in buckets to monitor pH levels etc.

One question I do have tho is how safe is it to load rocks in. How much more does rock place on the loading of a cabinet than water?

I've got a 320l aqua one sys but worried I could overload the cabinet. Prob not a reality but just want to check

·
Super Moderator
40,485 Posts
Water is very heavy too...so the water that is displaced by the rocks offsets much of the weight. If the cabinet was manufactured for a fish tank, no worries.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thanks for the reply.

That was my gut feeling, and it is a bespoke aquarium cabinet so hopefully all OK.

Just need to try and work out some layouts to create some caves.

I'm monitoring scrubbed rock in buckets to check pH level. May then whack in oven just to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
I wouldn't bother putting the rocks in the oven, probably not needed if the thought was to sterilize them or kill off bugs.

There can be a danger in heating rocks in the oven depending on who you talk to plus they may stink up your home and you need to wait until they are cool in the center to remove them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duly noted, thanks. Gives me some of my day back.

The stone I am adding has been scrubbed and left in a bucket of water overnight with no real change to PH levels so guess it should be OK to use

1 - 5 of 5 Posts