Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to set up a tank with labs, acei, and saulosi. The numbers around 7 each.
I'm also interested in putting a group of 4 peacocks in as well. I really want to see a lot of breeding and movement in the tank and was wondering if these more "mellow" mbuna would be compatible with some peacocks?

My ratio would be about 2M/4-5F in a 90 gallon with sand, good filtration,ect.

·
Registered
495 Posts
ya sounds like a group of peacocks would be perfect with labs acie and saulosi. Correct male to female ratios are needed of course and will be hard to obtain unless you are getting a sexed group.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
I don't think I would classify Saulosi as mellow, but maybe if you get one of those killer peacock species and avoid the timid ones it would work?

·
Registered
129 Posts
DONT MIX LABS AND SAULOSI.

the females are the same colour and you don't want hybrids :(

As for melow. why not try C. Moori mine are rather mellow:p i cant help with the peacocks though. not enough room in the house to have a tank for them...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would go with 1 male or 3 males of each group, rather than 2. Just seems to work better that way. IME, when I've only had two males, they've been too busy focusing on each other to do anything else.

I would also be looking for some of the more boisterous peacocks, or replace the saulosi with Iodotropheus sprengerae, another milder mannered mbuna.

Kim

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
krellious said:
DONT MIX LABS AND SAULOSI.

the females are the same colour and you don't want hybrids :(
quote]

to my knowledge and from everything *** read hear saulosi and labs wont hybridize... as long as you have proper numbers of M/F

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I've read that fish that look similar are more prone to hybridization. While I haven't experienced this myself, I have ended up with a "Yellow Zebra" and the difference in color between red zebras and saulosi isn't too different. With a lab/saulosi mix it would be hard to tell until the fish began to reach sexual maturity(and only if it was a male), and culls would be much sadder to deal with. Perhaps replacing labs with Iodotropheus Sperengae, or Saulosi with them would be less likely to produce hybrids.

I know that I'd be wary of buying fry from a tank that had both labs and saulosi spawning in it at the same time.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Laurel said:
I know that I'd be wary of buying fry from a tank that had both labs and saulosi spawning in it at the same time.
Me, too, but I'm wary of buying under alot of different situations! :eek:

Kim

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So sorry :oops: I didn't clarify, my labs are sp. "Hongi" not the common yellow. I know the yellow can have problems with hybridization but the hongi are way different in color.

And the reason i called it "mellow" is because at first i was going to be using Demasoni but realized how aggressive they are, the numbers they need, and the price they go for.
They are really like a small investment that could make you tons or could cost you a lot.

What kind of "boisterous" peacocks are out there that can hold their own against the mbuna?

I have one benga but isn't really at the top of the chain. I really would rather get some other type of peacock than the ones at Petsmart.

·
Registered
321 Posts
First: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=172033
an assumed Lab/saulosi cross (Albeit a caureleus/saulosi not hongi/saulosi - but that could happen too)

Second: jacobfriebergi are the peacock species to look for in this set-up and while they are the 'killer machines' of peacocks as DJRansome put it I'd still take Cichlidaholic's advice and switch the saulosi out for the Rusties.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Hongi are definitely not mellow! Odds of success with a peacock just went down dramatically IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts