Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i just picked up 4 lionheads from the fish store. All 4 stayed in the bag for 4 hours. When i finnally manged to get them into the fish tank, they all were almost dead, very heavily breathing. When i released them into tank they all sunk to bottom all heavily breathing. And now after 1hour all 4 lionheads ar at the top of fish tanks 4 corners. At the fish store I was advised that they easy to keep. But I already have 4 juwenal Auratus melanochromis (golden mbunas), which ar 2-3 times smaller thant lionheds, which attacks and bites those new lionheads. Other older fish are calmer doesnt attack newcomers.
So I wanted to ask, if did a mistake, and those fish wont survive in this tank?
Fish tank community: 4 golden mbunas, 2 red zebras, 1 yellow lab, 2 albino plecos, 1 firemouth, 1 blue dolphin (female) and now 4 lionheads.
Please tell me if they will just suffer in this tank i will go back to that fish store and just give them back.
Thank you for your advice.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
What is a lionhead? Do you mean Steatocranus casuarius a.k.a. blockhead?

I would not mix them with auratus, no. I am surprised the auratus don't bite the zebras, labs and dolphins as well. They are very aggressive.

Do you have a tank that is six feet long or longer? The blue dolphin will outgrow your tank if it is less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, about Lionhead it's same name. The auratus are juwenile 2-3 times smaller now, thant the other fish, we bought them just few days ago. Did not studyied the fish. Maybe I should give back auratus to fish store? The blcokheads are now fine- recovered. My tank is smaller then six feet, should I give away my female dolphin? Its only one heap left,im still a rookie at this hobbie. Now i'm only transfering to mbunas, and other smaller space needed cichlids like blockheads.
Thank you for your advice!

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
How long is your tank? You can give the metric if that is easier.

It would be great if you had a separate, smaller tank for the Steatocranus casuarius to keep them alone or with some tetras. If you click on the link below you will see another link to a cookie cutter tank recommendation for this fish which includes tank size and tank mates.

With your current tank I think you need to decide which is the one species of fish you most want to keep, and then choose tank mates that are compatible with that species.
Central America Firemouth https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/ ... .php?id=65
Congo River Lionhead https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/ ... hp?id=1353
Lake Malawi Red Zebra https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/ ... hp?id=1730

I would give the auratus and the dolphin back to the fish store because the tank is likely too small for them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1meter long. (100cm). So like aprox 3feet. So if I give back those fish. The community would be: 2 red zebras, 1 yellow lab, 1 firemouth, and 4 blockheads and 2 albino plecos. Should I get more fish in this tank? Also my tanks primer is gravel, I was advised at fish store, that its easyier to clean, but now I know that cichlids like sand. As i said im new to this hobby, should I change gravel to sand, or I can keep it?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
In a 3 foot tank I would get rid of all of the mbuna. I have Steatocranus and they dont seem very aggressive at all. They also prefer to have alot more water current than most fish. I have them in a 55 with a school of Brycinus longipinnis and garage congoensis.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Agree if the Steatocranus are the must have species I would rehome all the other fish you have now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts