Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
Do not feed more. How did you cycle the tank? What are the test results for ammonia, pH, nitrite and nitrate?

It is a good idea to locate any dead bodies, but if you try and can't find it, the tank will likely survive. You should not have to completely tear down the tank but checking around the piles and removing a couple of rocks until you locate the victim should do it.

Key is watching the fish eat and ensuring every fish eats at every feeding. As soon as a fish does not eat, watch for disease.

Are you able to see the stringy white poop attached to any of the fish that have fat bellies or look thin? Either could be sick.

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
You look for voracious feeding and normal poop on all fish daily, and act when a fish does not eat and any have poop that is white and thready on a particular fish. The fish will not hide in the rocks at feeding time when they are healthy.

I would remove enough rocks to eliminate the possibility of dead bodies and put any fish that do not come out to eat in a hospital tank for closer observation.

You have a high fish count so when you can ID extra males to get down around 20 fish overall, you will want to start rehoming some.

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
I would not use meds unless the particular fish you are dosing has been diagnosed with an illness that is treated with that particular med. You want the med to work effectively when a fish is really sick...as opposed to being something the fish is accustomed to as a preventive. Some organisms are present in a healthy tank, but will multiply in a fish that is stressed to the point it will make him sick.

Rather I would focus on removing the dead bodies and shoot for 10ppm nitrates after a water change. And removing extra fish to manage aggression and water quality.

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
I would allow a month for the acei to thin out. Are you sure he is not eating more than his share? These fish can easily get fat.

I would remove the 2 fish that seem weaker plus the zebra (if that is not already one of the two) to a holding/hospital tank and see if the zebra improves without so many tank mates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts