Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...here it goes. I currently have 2 stocked 55 gallon tanks, and 2 empty tanks (210g & 29g). I've only owned fish for 6 months and I initially only planned to have ONE tank, but I royally screwed up when stocking it. Now I need to know what is the optimum setup for success, yes I know it's a mess.

My fish are currently all juveniles:

1st 55g
3x johanni (m)
5x yellow lab (?)
2x kimpuma red tops (?)
1x acei (?)
1x cynotilapia lion "lions point" (?)
2x OB peacock (?)
2x fryeri "electric blue" (1 is definitely female, the other I believe is male)

2nd 55g

1x fryeri (m)
1x fuscotaeniatus (?)
1x c. boreyli (m)
3x "swallowtail" jakes "otter point" (?)
3x a. stuartgranti "ruby red" (1 definitely male, 1 definitely female)
2x a. baenschi (I think both are male)
2x albino rubenscens (?)

I figure if I want anyone else for the 210g, I need to get the fusco used to them now since he's already getting quite aggressive. I figure the fusco, boreyli, fryeri and swallowtails will all go in there eventually, but I'm not sure whether everyone else will be okay until that happens, or if I can even add more fish now...it's still a little ways off. I need to replace my basement carpeting, build the sump and remove the scratches before setting it up (it's a used bottom drilled acrylic tank that's pretty badly scratched. I picked it up for only $60)

Can I add 2 more juvie swallowtail jakes to my peacock tank and some s. reef taiwans?
Should I add anybody else?
Should I move anybody now? (I can set up the 29g (tall) if anyone should be isolated)
Who should ultimately go where?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Since you are getting ready to set up the 210, I'd hold off adding any new ones.

3 johanni males in one tank? You should eventually work your way to 1m or 1m7-9f.

Ultimately, every peacock and Hap should go into the 210. The mbuna in one 55. Leave the other 55 running while you're figuring who works with who. It will be nice to have a good QT tank when you are finalizing your stock list.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I'd keep the 29G for hospital/quarantine. And decide if the three remaining tanks will be all-male or mixed genders.

Figure you can do about 8 males in the 55G tanks. Choose fish that mature at 6" or less.

And maybe 18 males in the 72" tank depending on size. All fish that mature at more than 6" would ideally be in this tank.

You would not want multiple males of the same species or look-alikes in the all-male tanks.

If you want mixed genders, choose 3 species for the 55Gs and 5 species for the 72" tank. Think in terms of 1m:4f of each and adjust if you choose a large or aggressive species.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
DJRansome said:
I'd keep the 29G for hospital/quarantine. And decide if the three remaining tanks will be all-male or mixed genders.

Figure you can do about 8 males in the 55G tanks. Choose fish that mature at 6" or less.

And maybe 18 males in the 72" tank depending on size. All fish that mature at more than 6" would ideally be in this tank.

You would not want multiple males of the same species or look-alikes in the all-male tanks.

If you want mixed genders, choose 3 species for the 55Gs and 5 species for the 72" tank. Think in terms of 1m:4f of each and adjust if you choose a large or aggressive species.
+1

If you're aiming for all male, get rid of the female ruby; she'll only cause trouble in the future, LOL!
BTW, a 96" tank is always better than a 72" tank, especially for the larger haps. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Still need to know if the tanks will be all-male or mixed gender and then recommendations can be given. A 96" tank can support another species or two and maybe more males depending on which ones specifically.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Well, the peacock tank will have crossbreeding, but the fish are already mixed, right? I'd choose three species and stock 1m:4f of each. I would not add taiwan reef haps to the peacock 55G as they mature at 7".

For the mbuna 55G, from your mix I would choose these:
1m:4f Labidochromis caeruleus
1m:4f Cynotilapia afra lion
1m:4f Labidochromis hongi Kimpuma

It's not ideal because you have two lab species, but I have heard these are OK together. And both the lion and hongi are barred so you may have trouble with someone coloring up.

Sounds like the big tank is pretty full with a breeding group of fuscos and borleyi. Maybe throw in the acei and some acei buddies?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts