Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have half a bag of Hikari Gold mini floating pellets left from when i had a baby oscar, is it alright to feed these to my africans when i get them?? if not then what do you recomend?? the fish i will be stocking are yellow labs, red zebras, yellow tail aceii

Or can i mix what i have to a new bag of hikari excel?? also i am getting a feather-fin catfish, do i need to have sinking pellets for them??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so does no one know what they feed their mbuna :-? I mean there has been 20 views on this topic and no replies, maybe i should re-phrase my question.

what do you all feed your mbuna??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Foods like Hikari Cichlid Gold have far too much animal protein to be digested efficiently by they herbivorous digestive tracts. Feeding them this will eventually lead to bloat and death. Feed your mbuna a good quality Spirulina based flake or pellets foods and supplement it with fresh spinach, cucumber, zucchini and leafy green lettuces, not iceberg a few times a week. Hikari excel with work for them, but don't mix it with the gold. As far as the catfish go, my petricola eat whatever falls to the bottom and they are growing just fine.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
It is a good idea to use a food for your new herbivore/omnivores with protein around 34% and I like sinking pellets for the cats and the mbuna.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My yellow labs love romaine and red leaf lettuce. I put in a fresh leaf every day, and the eat every bit except the veins! The particularly like the red part of the red leaf. They also eagerly eat HBH cichlid flakes, HBH Veggie flakes (spirulina), omega one cichlid flakes, and literally jump out of the water gobbling Hikari floating cichlid pellets.

I use a clip, weighted with lead strips to sink the leaves. The clip is attached to a piece of 10# monofiliment fishing line. Just pull up the old leaf, clip in a new one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts